Provence-1 week more?

Search

Provence-1 week more?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence-1 week more?

I was originally planning 1 week in Provence-after 1 week in Paris and 5 days in Lyon.But for know,after reading the posts about it,I'm really in doubt.I have 2 confirmed flights back to Sao Paulo Brasil,1 in july 8 and the other on July 16.So,I'm already staying in Avignon for 4 nights and in Aix en Provence for 5 nights.Any suggestions,comments?I must say that I'm travelling alone,want 4 star hotels no more than 200 Euros.
Obrigado
[email protected]
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:49 AM
ira

topping
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:56 AM

I can't quite tell from the message what you're having doubts about. Please provide more information.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Are you saying that you could spend an extra week in Provence? If so, by all means! Anytime you can spend more time in France, do it!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Since I'm travelling alone I don't know if I stay '1 more week and where in Provence.
More days in Avignon and/or Aix or in another place?
After 1 day of sightseeing I return to a very beautiful mas or hotel chateaux for a night alone?No way.Then I have to go back to this mas/chateau to prepare for the night.
So better stay in a big city and use it as a base for exploration?So which big city?
Underhill and Stcirq are very familiar with the region,so they can better help me.

Obrigado
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I would suggesting looking into Arles, although it's close to Avignon, I loved staying there and it is big enough not feel uncomfortable being alone. (Although I was with my husband when I was there, he was sick one full day and I went out exploring on my own.) Arles has a wonderful market, a great Colloseum, and lots of sights that imo warrant more than a day trip. We stayed at Hotel D'Arlatan which we loved. I also know that others have recommended other nice hotels if you do a search.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:48 AM

I agree that Arles would be a good base (and I love the Hôtel d'Arlatan, too). If you have a car, the possibilities are wider. If you don't have a car, I would definitely look into public transportation, because if you're going to be in the area that long you will surely want to explore the Pont du Gard, St-Rémy, Les Baux, and all the other lovely little towns.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Nice is a great town to stay in, and there's lots of action at night around the Cours Saléya. You could probably get a good room at the hotel Beau Rivage in your price range, but there are quite a few hotels from which to choose--although time is getting short.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

St Cirq if I stay the extra week I mean from july 8 to july 16 in Provence I'll have a car.I intended to visit Les Baux and Arles in a day trip from Avignon or Aix.If I'm staying there I have more time for it.
So for the next 8 nights what do you suggest:more nights in Aix,Avignon or the full 8 nights in Arles?
Underhill,I've already been to Nice,Cannes,Antibes Juan les Pins and Monaco on my last trip to France in 2001.
So for this year I want to stay in the country not in the seaside.Also I'm afraid about Marseiile.Look what Frommers guide say:
"Marseille has always symbolized danger and intrigue, and that reputation is somewhat justified."
Marseille today actually occupies twice the amount of land space as Paris, and its age-old problems remain, including a declining drug industry, smuggling, corruption (often at the highest levels), the Mafia, and racial tension. Unemployment, as always, is on the rise"
Merci beaucoup

PS:Underhill And Stcirq are you french man or woman?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM

George,
algumas semanas atras, estivemos na França fazendo o roteiro Riviera, Provence, Languedoc-Roussillon, vale do Dordogne, vale do Loire e Paris.
Segundo entendi de suas ideias, sugiro que fique em Avignon e faça day trips por Nimes, Pont de Gard, Arles e, se estiver interessado, adiante de Nimes em direçao a Montpellier, visitar trecho da Via Domitia, estrada romana construida um seculo antes de JC. Proximo, um oppidum (vila do sec. VI antes de JC).
Outra regiao nao mencionada é em torno de Fontaine de Vaucluse, Cavaillon, Gordes,Isle sur Sorgue, etc. Regiao montanhosa e muito bonita.
Avignon seria, entao, base para duas semanas.
Com carro, uma possibilidade seria ficar em hotel proximo a Avignon, do outro lado do Rhone.
Entre St. Remy de Provence e a estrada nacional N7, pela D99, o mais belo trecho de estrada com platanos dos dois lados.
Aproveite sua viagem
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Arles and St Remy are good choices.
The Nord Pinus where we stayed in Arles has a garage.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM

I'm not sure that St-Rémy is what geo007 is looking for as a place to stay as opposed to visiting--he would probably enjoy Arles more, and possibly Nimes. What about Montpelier?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM

geo007, I am an American woman who spends a great deal of time in France.

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay in one place in that general area for a full 8 nights, so I would split the time evenly between Avignon and Arles or even Nîmes (a great town that doesn't always get a lot of press).

During the time you have the car, be sure to drive out into the Camargue to Aigues-Mortes and the surrounding area. It's wild and beautiful, and very different from the little inland towns of the Bouche-du-Rhône area.