Proposed Visa Requirement

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading that the French are thinking about requiring Americans traveling in France to have a visa. Is this for real? If so, what is the status and prognosis of success?.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:18 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ree-travel.cfm
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Yes, I heard about this, too, and am waiting anxiously to hear the outcome, since we're traveling to Italy this summer. Nothing's been decided for sure yet, so we just have to stay on top of it.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
In my opinion, the prognosis of success is excellent.

I would expect, given the efficiency of the french bureaucracy, that it will be in place just in time for the summer travel season.

Personally, I am not making any plans, instead waiting till the last minute to purchase tickets and book hotels.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Nothing happens that fast in France or the EU. If there are visa changes, you "should" have plenty of advance warning. Estimates are running up to two years to make a change.

Of course, I have no inside info, just using common sense and seven years' experience living in France. Then again, Marine Le Pen is a serious contender for president this time.

In any case, why should we expect preferential treatment after what we're putting people through?
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:34 AM

cdnyul,

Efficiency of French bureaucracy? We sure "know" two different countries!
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Cathijoetown,

No, we know the same country

The OP must have read The Onion, (and that is where my response belongs)
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 10:06 AM

kerouac

Well put. Readers should have noted that the decision was made by the parliament. Whether the EU Commission acts upon parliament's vote is another matter entirely.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 10:11 AM

worth reading

http://www.euronews.com/2017/03/04/e...s-us-visa-call
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 12:27 PM

<<I would expect, given the efficiency of the french bureaucracy, that it will be in place just in time for the summer travel season.>>

Are you effing KIDDING? What a joke!

If you don't understand that this is an EU decision that requires a 12-month notice before "potential" ratification, and that obviously it will not be, cannot be, in place before the summeer travel season, go back to your alternative reality in the USA.

cdnyul, sure, go ahead and wait until the last minute to book tickets or whatever based on your lack of information and understanding. You'll pay a lot for that, but people do when they are ignorant of facts.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Whoever posted that this is a done deal, that "the European Parliament has voted" etc. etc. is fibbing. Nothing of the sort. This "tit-for-tat" back-and-forth has been going on for years.

The EU has an obligation to stand up for its member states and to demand that the US treat citizens from all EU member states identically.

So it's a case of "if you don't then we'll consider..." and it's not about to go much further overnight.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 01:16 PM

GOOD GOSH WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

How can any of you reading this actually thing cdnyul was being serious? Especially St Cirq who posted her daft response 3.5 hours after cdnyul admitted s/he was joking.

And this whole thing is nonsense. The dozens of European countries with visa-free reciprocity with the US are not going to vote in favor of losing that benefit for the few who currently do not. Even European elites aren't that stupid.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 02:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Don't be so sure of that, Big Russ. Most Europeans have been irritated for years with the ESTA fee of $14. A 14€ visa fee to visit Europe might be in order.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 04:04 AM

The ESTA fee is nothing compared to what those from the USA pay in departure taxes when returning from EU airports.

Then there is the cost that the EU imposes upon those from the USA to have their drivers licenses translated. Something that the USA found violated several international treaties and subsequently does not require of those visiting from the EU.

The visa question is all saber rattling. Expect absolutely nothing to be done this year at all, if ever.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 08:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sarastro, you make it sound like only passengers from the US pay ticket taxes when flying out of EU airports. EVERYBODY pays those taxes.

It might also be noted that the US charges $13.40 as an international departure tax, $4.50 as an airport improvement fee, $5.00 for federal security, $5.00 for US customs fee, $7.00 as an immigration fee and $3.10 for health inspection.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am certainly NOT "waiting" to book anything. All I'm "waiting" for is the final instructions, if ANY, on how to get the visa.

You "freedom fries" people need to lighten up IMO
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Why would anyone "wait to book" anything based on this? If someone can't handle this (which I don't think will happen, either), they shouldn't be traveling. If people won't move if they need to pay an airport tax, etc., maybe the planes will be less crowded, hurray.