Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Proposed Rome Itinerary - can you please comment?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

After reading trip reports and recommendations, I figured I should humbly submit the itinerary we developed so far for our week's stay in Rome for our 20 years anniversary.

So a bit about ourselves: We are in our late 30's and we have travelled extensively and visited (or worked in)all continents by ourselves (i.e. never did tours), including in third world countries. My wife has visited Italy in the past but never Rome. I did when I was a kid (during university years) but my interests have changed since then. Finally, we are always interested in discovering side streets and alleys and sincerely love getting lost and browse around to find our way back. Hence, we hate having our days planned by the hour and having to rush from one site to another.

So,here's what we came up with so far

Day 1 (arrival) - Starting in early afternnon after a quick nap at our appartment in Trastevere: Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Piazza Di Spagna, Trevi Fountain

Day 2 - Coliseum and Palatine (am), St-Peter's (pm)

Day 3 - Ostia Antica (am) and Catacombs (pm)

Day 4 - Castel St-Angelo (am), Vatican museum (pm)

Day 5 - Galleria Borghese (reservation made 9h00am-11h00), Santa Maria Concezione (after lunch) and Scavi (tour confirmed at 3:00pm)

Day 6 - Orvietto or Assisi day trip (back in Rome for the night as we depart early on day 7)

Day 7 - Departure

Any comment (and suggestions!) is appreciated! Many thanks
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Hi travelingmad,

It sounds like a very full schedule, with not much time for discovering side streets and wandering. But, that depends on how much time you like to spend at the sites listed, maybe you move through them quickly.

With 5 full days in Rome, I wouldn't plan more than 1 day trip out of the city. There is so much more to see and discover than what you have planned!

Lots of great churches and art to see if you like that.
Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM

I agree - two day trips is a bit much for such a short visit.

Generally, you are hitting all the right high points although I don't see much time for discovering the hundreds of ancients churches and other surprising delights throughout the city. Basically, though, it's a good itinerary.

If you go to Ostia Antiqua, you should consider incorporating a visit to St. Paul's Outside the Walls enroute.

Also, I would think about staying in a hotel in the historic center (near Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori/Pantheon) so that you will see all the little streets throughout it as you come and go to the variouis tourist sites during your week. It is quite a charming, beautiful area (and worth the few extra Euros for staying in the choice location).
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Where are you staying in Trastevere?
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi geeper,

I answered in the post you created - In an appartment from Angelishouse.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input.

We have made some modifications to the itinerary and we have decided to add a day to redistribute things a bit and make each day much less busy.

Also, we will decide on the spot whether we go to Orvieto, Assisi or Ostia Antica as a day trip.

If someone did the three (Orvieto, Assisi and Ostia), or only one and have a comment, feel free to enlight our thinking!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Wow travelingmad,

It's really hard to choose. I've stayed in Orvieto, Assisi, but have not been to Ostia Antica. I did visit Tivoli as a day trip from Rome last trip.

Deciding once you are there is the best option. You would not go wrong with any of these choices. I think it depends on what your interests are.

Orvieto would be a small town, very different from Rome. The Duomo is breathtaking, the underground tour fascinating. Restaurants, ceramics, art galleries all excellent. Ancient Etruscan town on a tufa hill.

Assisi - loved Assisi, lots of religious interest, beautiful churches with amazing art. Tons of tourists. Very beautiful city, larger than Orvieto.

Tivoli - a complete change of pace from Rome. Pretty easy to get to via public trans, takes a little more than 1 hour. Metro/bus. Hadrian's Villa, very nice, large park-like site, ruins in pretty good condition. Villa d'Este - a wonderful, wonderful delight! I've never seen fountains like this before. Gorgeous Renaissance gardens. Highly recommend!

Hope this helps, buon viaggio.

Old Sep 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM

I didn't see the forum listed on your itinerary, just the Colosseum and Palatine. I think to do all three justice you need at least 4 hours. And the best way to approach the Forum is via the Piazza del Campidolgio, which adds more time.

You say you like side streets and alleys and interesting walks, so I would recommend spending some time in the ghetto neighborhood, across the Tiber from Trastevere. It is a good place to go for dinner one night.

The Campo dei Fiori/Piazza Farnese/via Giulia area is another interesting part of the city to explore

I would look at some guide books with good walking tour suggestions. Spending more time wandering around Rome may appeal to you more than side trips once you get there.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Beware of that "quick nap" on Day One. Take a shower and sleep for no more than 30-40 minutes (set an alarm), or you may feel like a slug for the rest of the day. (I'm nearly 20 years older than you and would skip the nap idea entirely. I'd take a shower, have a nice lunch and stroll leisurely to all the sights you mention.)

If you are Catholic, I vote for Assisi, although this is a very long day trip.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the input.

We are about to get a guided tour with Context rome that includes the roman forum and the coliseum.

Jean:

About Orvieto and the underground tour, is there something I should reserve?

Regarding the nap, it's not my choice: a cancer I had to fight in my twenties had severe consequences on my capacity to go along with little sleep.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Then, sweet Roman dreams to you, and have a great trip!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Others my want to chime in, but I'd think since you have a Scavi tour at the Vatican at 3 PM, I'd do Castello Angelo and the Vatican on that day, instead of backtracking another day.

I'd also agree that you have left out my favorite activity for Rome -- wandering streets, exploring, and relaxing at cafes.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM

When you arrive in Orvieto by train, walk across the stret ans take the funicular to the top of the hill. The funicular is met by a one of two buses. Take the bus that goes to the Duomo. Opposite the Duomo is the the Tourist Info office. Go there immediately to find out when the next English tour is and reserve a place. I don't think you can reserve ahead.

You might like to purchase their tourist ticket that costs only a few euros more and includes the underground tour, a few museums, a bell tower, the chapel in the Duomo, dining discounts, bus and funicular transport, and more. It may be a good value for you, depending on how you plan to spend your visit.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Many people on this forum recommend the Context tours especially because the Roman forum is confusing w/o a good guide or guide book.
I recommend seeing the Palatine on your own, too, if you can fit it in. I would personally rate it higher than the catacombs. Maybe this is because of my fascination with I, Claudius. (I was very disappointed that the House of Livia was closed when we visited in Feb). The view of the Forum from the Farnese gardens is also beautiful.

You probably already know this but the #8 tram goes right up Viale di trastevere to Via Arenula and the Largo Argentina near the Pantheon and piazza navona. At the Largo stop, take a few minutes to look at the ruins in the Area Sacra dell'Argentina and count the cats from the cat sanctuary.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

@ Vttraveler

"You probably already know this but..."

That one made me laugh, I must admit. It has been around 20 years since I visited Rome so I know next to nothing!

I know, though, that I put your para about the #8 tram line in the "tips" section of my travel book!

If you have others like that (about trams, metro and bus), feel free to share - I'm a sponge!

Thanks and cheers!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:30 AM

If you are planning to see the Coliseum and the Palantine, be sure to get a combination ticket for the two. If you buy a single ticket at the Coliseum, you'll be upset to get to the Palantine and find that you have to buy a combination ticket including the Coliseum to visit the Palantine! This summer we visited the Palantine but didn't want to visit the Coliseum again, so we were a little perturbed that the ONLY way to get into the Palantine was to buy a combo ticket for the two attractions, making the Palantine alone kind of expensive.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Travelingmad--
Here is a link to a thread with a lot of good information about public transportation from Trastevere
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34986879

It includes how to take the local train to Stazione Trastevere if you want to do that rather than a shuttle or cab from the airport. the local train is much more convenient than the Leonardo Express for your neighborhood.

We took buses or walked everywhere. The metro which circles the central part of the city just wasn't convenient for us. a good bus map is important.