Search

Rome Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Itinerary

A friend and I will arrive in Rome on Thursday Morning. We plan to visit on our own the Spanish Steps, Fountain Trevi, Pantheon, and some of the piazzas. On Friday is the Vatican tour and on Saturday is the Colosseum (Ancient Rome) tour. We leave on Sunday. Is this a good itinerary for my stay in Rome or do you reccommend other sites?

Some background about my friend and I...we are both in our early 30s and are single. We are traveling as strictly platonic friends who share a common bond to visit Italy. We both graduated from Georgia Tech and are somewhat "nerds" who like to have alot of fun. We both pledged Greek fraternities and sororities while in school and are still active to date. This will give you some insight as to who we are and things we would enjoy. I do have a mission to find the best pizza while in Rome and the best pasta spot. I hope you can help me!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I think you've planned good use of your limited time. Each of your tours is presumably about a half day, or are they longer?
Anyway, you might enjoy a lunch, snack, or dinner in or around the Piazza Navona area, or near Campo dei Fiori, but if you're staying at the Hilton, they are not in your backyard. However, Trastevere would be great for a stroll or meal.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Your itinerary looks good for a first trip-you need to give yourself time to wander through the Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, of course, sit down at an outdoor cafe and enjoy the view and people watch, a Roman past time. I should warn you though, (and I will be encountering the same thing when I arrive in Rome some days from now) most of the good, well-known restaurants will be shut down at this time in August, as this is the month that Italians take holiday. (which is not to say that no restaurants will be open-but many of those places recommended in the guidebooks will be closed). The fact that so many Romans will be gone from the city means that things should be moving at an easier and more relaxing pace. We'll see!

Also, while in the Campo dei Fiori/Jewish Ghetto area, you'll want to pass by the lovely church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin -with the famous ancient drain cover of the face of a horned man with a gaping mouth-this is the Bocca della Verita (mouth of truth). Anyone who lies while sticking their hand in the mouth will have it bitten off, acc. to legend-so you know this is a HUGE kitchy attraction for the tourists (I love stuff like this!) so you may have to queue to try it out and see what happens!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:41 AM

You might want to read Fodor's itinerary for Rome too..

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ation=rome@130
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:45 AM

The van from the Hilton will drop you in an area where you can walk to much of this,but they will be long walks.
Thursday take the van and walk to the Spanish Steps (get directions-it's a bit of a walk,but Yellow Jacket's should be able handle it). You'll actually arrive at the top and walk down them.
Get directions/map from the concierge and to Pantheon and some Piazza's. Eat near Piazza Navona. Pizzeria Da Baffetto is close by there. Some consider it one of Rome's best. I sure had a great pizza there last year.At your age, you would also like Piazza Fiori at night.
Count on cabbing back, about 15euro.
Friday you could spend much of your day near the vatican .Bus from the Hilton,they say you can walk it ,but it's very long. You'll have plenty walking at the Vatican.
Bus down to the Navona area and finish your night there or near the Spanish Steps (count on huige crowds)in the city.
Saturday, I assume that you will also tour the Forum. You could also add Nero's house, which is close by. This gives you time to finish in the City.
One thing though. Make sure you leave on an early shuttle. It's about a 15-20 minute ride and it inly goes every half-hour.
Have a great trip!