Rome Itinerary 3.5 Days - Comments ?

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Itinerary 3.5 Days - Comments ?

Hi all,

We will be spending 3.5 days in Rome this September - here is what we are thinking in terms of an itinerary.

Day 1
--Check into hotel around 4pm
--Time Elevator Roma Show
--Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
--Rome by Night: Piazza del Quirinale

Day 2
--Vatican City: St. Peter's Square, St. Peter's Basilica (climb Michelangelo's dome), Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museums
--Rome by Night: Roman Forum views from Campidoglio (Capitoline Hill)

Day 3
--Rome of the Caesars: Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Colloseum, Imperial Forums
--Rome by Night: Piazzas, Fountains, Ancient Ruins (just wander around town)

Day 4
--Piazza Navona, Pantheon
--Trastevere: Piazza di Santa Maria, Sunset at Gianicolo Hill

Any thoughts on whether this makes sense ? We tried to plan this in a way that we do things that are geographically close by together.

Any other must-do, must-see things that are missing from this list ? Anything in this list that we should *not* do ? Any comments that will make our trip better will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:19 PM

That's a nice itinerary for your time in Rome. On day four, the Piazza Navona and Pantheon will take you less than an hour to see. You might want to see the Borghese Gallery late that morning before heading over to Trastevere. Make reservations for the Borghese.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM

I'm with Grinisa -- you can certainly get much more in on Day 4 -- but do linger around the Pantheon.

Also -- you might just have that afternoon be free time -- my husband and I go our seperate ways for a half day in each city -- most of an afternoon or so -- then get back together at the hotel and talk about where we went. I ended up walking back to The Pantheon because I loved it so much, and up to the Spanish Steps so I could linger and people watch, as well as buy a couple of baubles to bring home.

Don't miss The Spanish Steps, even if it's just to walk there, sit on the steps for 20 minutes and just soak it all in.

Jules
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses ! How about the catacombs ? Anyone recommend these and if so, what would be a good one to visit ? Is this something we could do in the afternoon on day 4 ?
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:20 AM

The catacombs would be a good choice for the afternoon. If time is tight, take a taxi as waiting for a bus can be very long. The largest is San Callisto but my favorite is San Sebastiano which has some fine examples of ancient Roman mauseleums and wonderful graffiti wall showing early Christian symbols.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:39 AM
jgg

I would agree that going to the catacombs is a good idea. We thoroughly enjoyed them. The cab ride was 13 euros and takes about 15- 20 minutes depending on traffic.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks ! I'll definitely check out the catacombes. Any other suggestions on how to spend a free afternoon in Rome ?
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Since you will probably have plenty of free time on day four, I would suggest you visit the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano. Its a gorgeous basilica located right off the S. Giovanni metro stop. The church is gorgeous and highly worth a visit. Of course, the same can be said for many of the churches in Rome but we really enjoyed visiting San Giovanni in particular.

Another place you may want to visit is Casle Sant Angelo, located a short walk from the Vatican. The tour is very interesting.

Also, I agree with the others. Leave some extra time for just strolling around Rome and taking it all in. Rome is a wonderful city, our favorite, and just walking around and exploring the city, sitting at outdoor cafes, and eating glots of elato have been highlights of our trips there.

Tracy