Proposal in Santorini

Jan 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Proposal in Santorini

My hopefully soon-to-be-fiance and I are taking a trip to Athens, Istanbul and Santorini in May. She'd really like to see Crete while we are on Santorini. I was wondering if anyone knew whether a daytrip to Crete was possible? Also, do you recommend bringing ring to pop the question (I'm worried about theft concerns in Istanbul/Athens)? If not I'll creatively come up with something else to use, but can you suggest a place to ask.

Brotherleelov, thanks for the flight info, but I was hoping to hydrofoil. I guess there aren't connections because they only seem to leave Santorini at night and return in the early morning making a day-trip from Crete to Santorini very easy but the other way around impossible.

If anyone has done it though please let me know.

Thanks.
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Two places come to mind; first is the skaros, which is a small piece of land that juts out into the Ocean, the views are amazing. The second place is the lighthouse located at the north end of the island, the views of the island are breath-taking from this location and it's usually semi-private.

http://www.virtualgreece.net/santorini/skaros1.htm
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Watching the full moon from Oia as it rises over the island is always very romantic. You could be sitting in one of the many cliffside restaurants enjoying this event when you pop the question. Pelekanos, Lotza, Seagull and Skala come to mind.
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much guys, Lotza got some really good reviews. thanks for the suggestion and the lighthouse and skaros also seem like very good places.

As for Crete, unfortunately it doesn't look very good, but there's always next time.
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Please make sure you insure the ring before you leave for the trip! And make sure it is covered for both theft and you losing it. Even if you pop the question in the US chances are she'll wear it on the trip - you don't want to lose it AND be out the money. Just some advice from a recent honeymooner

If you want to ask her in Oia at dinner I recommend Ambrosia....wonderful ambiance and view. Just be sure to stop by during the day (or the day before) and make a reservation.

Congratulations and enjoy your trip!
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:33 PM

I forgot to mention Ambrosia above. It should definitely be added to the list.
Jan 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Chad

A few years ago we did a one day tour by ship from Heraklion, Crete to Santorini. If I remember correctly there were a few companies offering this service.

We left Heraklion at about 7.30 am and returned the same evening close to 9pm.

The tour included a trip to the ancient site at Akrotiri and then we were left for a good few hours to explore Fira on our own.

I can't recall the name of the operator but found this link that might helpbr />
http://www.windmillstravel.com/touro...80&rel=tourexc

Joe

Jan 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Chad

My apologies. I have given you the day-trip in reverse. That'll teach me to take my time and read more slowly!
Jan 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Hven't been to Turkey, but the most romantic place in the world (in my experience) to pop the question would be in Oia, Santorini, as the sun sets and the moon rises. Sunset there is a rite of passage, a religious experience enjoyed by everyone at the same moment, everynight. Also, on top of the Acropolis at sunset (early sunset) would be very special.

Not sure what it is about Athens that makes you nervous. It was one of the safest-feeling cities I have ever been in. People live for the nescafe frappes and the nights.
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone I think that Oia will be the place. Insurance isn't that expensive so will bring ring. Also I'll probably get travel insurance for medical.

While I'm writing, can anyone recommend town to stay that would be best to stay in Crete for only 2 or 3 nights before going via ferry to Santorini? Thanks everyone for your help.
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Right NOW Aegean Airlines is having a fantastic airfare sale, so you could fly to Crete to Chania or Heraklion then take the ferry up to Santorini. If you choose Chania you'll have to get to Heraklion for the ferry.
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

I did just that thanks. I got my tick from Athens to Iraklion for 27E and from Santorini to Athens for 37E. Plus the exchange rate is pretty good right now. I'll take the ferry over to Santorini. Anyway I was thinking about staying around Amoudara or at the Olympic hotel, although they don't seem to have a website, they've got good mentions on this forum what do you think?
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Sorry, my experience with hotels on Crete is too dated to be of any use to you.
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

There have been posts about this hotel efore but never an recommendation one way or another. Can anyone tell me anything about the Scirocco Apt. in Fira?