Problem with Search function

Nov 9th, 2001, 08:31 AM
elaine

Problem with Search function

I got so excited! I tried doing a search and the results came back in two seconds! Wow, I thought, they really improved this. BUT, I wasn't able to open any of the
resulting messages, I keep getting a window that says "Bad Request". I've tried reloading, and I've tried doing the search again from scratch.
Anyone else having this problem?

Nov 9th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Searching

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, just do a search!

Nov 9th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Patrick

Searching, yours is the funniest answer I've ever seen on this board. Elaine says she can't open any answers on the search function, so you tell her to do a search!!!
Elaine, not sure what the problem is, mine seems to be working perfectly.

Nov 9th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Rex

I cannot re-create this error message, Elaine - - perhaps just bad timing? (server traffic?) though they DO seem to making revisions to the "format" of the forum, or more specifically to the software that runs it.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 9th, 2001, 09:34 AM
elaine

thanks all but I still can't open any of the messages from the search results

However, since Fodor's is now numbering them, I went back to the regular screen and scrolled down (for weeks!) until I got to one of the threads and opened one of them that way

Nov 9th, 2001, 09:37 AM
fodors wizard

Ain't progress grand?

Nov 9th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Searching

Patrick, thanks for the compliment! I hope others actually got my joke, which dripped of sarcasm.

Nov 9th, 2001, 10:25 AM
kim

Elaine,
I'm having the same problem, but not with every search. eg: when I search "paris" I can open the threads that come up. But when I search "packing tips" I get the "bad request" message. ???

Nov 9th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Patrick

I guess the "exact match" button no longer means anything. When I tried to find my own old post about Dolomite Hotels, I entered "Hotels in Dolomites" and carefully left the exact match button unchecked. The search function came up with "nothing matches". I went through the list and finally found it, "Hotels in the Dolomites". Seems that if I weren't asking for an exact match the search function should have found that!

Nov 9th, 2001, 11:40 AM
cheryl

I'm having the same problem. Can't
open any threads after searching. What's going on?

Nov 9th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Ben Haines

I have this problem oo.

Ben Haines

Nov 9th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Gerry

Are you all using Netscape? When I try to open an answer in Netscape, I get the "Bad Request" answer. I often get these strange quirks on Netscape. On Internet Explorer the search answers open just fine.
But to add to the confusion get this:
When I put in the hotel name "domus julia", Netscape gives me results that I can't open. On Internet Explorer it says there is "no match". It's a Catch 22!

Nov 9th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Gerry

OK the "no match problem was that I was on the wrong forum. Stupid me. I have no problem opening the messages on Internet Explorer but can't open them on Netscape.

Nov 9th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Helper

Looking at Gerry's message it looks like it's an issue with the way Netscape sends over spaces. A workaround is to do the search like you normally do, then right click on the URL. You will get a bad request but then click on the URL and replace the space with a %20, e.g.

searchtext=domus%20julia.

That works. I am sure Fodors will fix it. I have seen this happen at some sites.

Nov 9th, 2001, 03:54 PM
xxx

Just tried locating a past post using Netscape and got the dreaded "Bad request" message. Tried locating the same post using Explorer, and it came up with no problem. I'm not literate enough to know what this means, but am reporting it in case it helps someone else.