Private Guided tours/Private guide in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a ton of info out here on Paris. I've just run across a site while looking into guided tour information- Slow Travelers. Not tons there, but they list a private guide that I'm tempted to use. It seems crazy to take on a guide in a city like Paris. I'm told that it's a very simple place to get around in. Again, I'm trying to make this a special trip for us with no worries. The idea of a private guide leading the way helping to explain what and where we'er at seems the right thing to both of us. My French language skills do not exist so this could be another worry off my mind. <BR>The guide listed on this site I mention is named Michael Osman. I did look into his web pages, but I'm seeking some first hand knowledge on the guy. He sounds too good to be true. Anyone know his cost?<BR>My wife is a budding artist and that seems to be his specialty. He's also an American. If anyone else knows of a similar art slant guide around Paris, I would like the option before I send him my request. Thanks again,<BR>Paul
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:13 PM

I have seen his rates quoted on this site but couldn't tell you offhand. Just do a search of the indexed threads and you'll probably find it there.<BR>I recall everyone thinking he did a good job and was reasonably priced.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I'm being a little dumb about the search here. Do you think his name is listed? <BR>Thanks for your input.<BR>Paul
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Several of my friends have used him. And all are crazy about him. He's an expatriot and he is also a painter.<BR>And is very patient and let's you chose. He also runs a forum that I post at on MSN, called Destination Paris and he NEVER pushes his business.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Do you have a link for that site?<BR>
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:35 PM

http://groups.msn.com/destinationparis<BR>You will see here all he knows, where to go for what.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, I'm now a member of another Paris group! The site looks great and gives us more confidence by finding he knows what he's talking about. I may see your comments over there too.<BR>Paul
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Don't you know how to do a search? Just put &quot;osman&quot; into the search box, selecting France.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:03 PM

I just have to weigh in here as an editor and say that there is a distinct difference between an &quot;expatriot,&quot;which actually isn't a word, but which would indicate someonewho who has renounced his citizenship, and an &quot;expatriate,&quot; which refers to someone who is living abroad in a country not his own.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:03 PM

I can highly recommend Michael Osman. I used his service last June, when I took my wheelchair-bound brother to LeMans and then Paris. Michael actually set me up with an associate, Scott Emerson, but checked in with us several times . Michael and Scott put their thinking caps on and helped me tailor a 3-day visit to Paris for my brother. It was his first European trip, and in spite of a very non-wheelchair friendly city, we saw most of the highlights on our list.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Ok St cirq. I stand corrected, I left out the E so shoot me. Paul, he's an American living in Paris.<BR>And a very sweet person.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I meant to post this on my original request. I just to thank one and all for their help here at this site. I've contacted Michael the Paris tour guide, and he sounds exactly the person we are looking for. His price is very reasonable. We are really looking forward to seeing Paris through the eyes of an artist. My wife is a budding artist as well, so it should really help to inspire her. <BR>Thanks all!<BR>Paul<BR>
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:55 AM

Is Michael very busy? I'm having trouble reaching him useing [email protected]. I've read toomany good things to give up on him. Does someone know any other e-mail or home address for contact?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Just keep sending to that address. He is very busy.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:53 AM

He's catching up after returning from an extended stay in the states.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:44 AM

I made contact with Michael this week and got back a quick response to a touring request for the coming months with me and my family. His ideas for seeing the city seem exactly what we were looking for. <BR>I recently started seeking guides for my international travels. We all seem to see and learn so much more. I'm not as patient about guiding myself and family as I once was when younger. It will also be nice knowing we have a fellow American to show us his Paris. His was a quick response, so if anyone is still trying to get in touch with him you should have better luck. He did mention being surprised at his becoming busy all of a sudden this month. We take that as another good sign.<BR>Good luck.<BR>EM<BR>PS:Thanks to everyone on the site for posting informative information. I'm mostly a site stalker. When I return from my trip I plan to add any advice I learn while traveling Paris.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Did you email Michael, or is it better to fax him?<BR>
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

I've only been in contact with Michael through his e-mail- [email protected]. He did send me his phone number that he says can also receive a fax. It would be up to you to contact him however you think best. His response to our questioning was full of helpful information. We don't know much about Paris so we had lots of stupid questions that he was kind enough to answer for us.<BR>We are looking forward to our visit in May and having Michael be our resident expert.<BR>Good luck.<BR>Paul
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:36 AM

Thanks..he answered my email yesterday!!! Looking forward to his help!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:14 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has used Michael's services with children and teenagers. I'm taking my family to Paris this summer and wondered if a guide could help with making the experience more interesting for my kids. Has anyone used Michael with children along for the ride? It would be good knowing he has some skills in relating to teens in some way. Any idea how old he is? Is he still a student?<BR>Thanks<BR>Al

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -