Private guide for Olympia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be docking in Katakolon and looking for a private guide to take us from the ship and tour Olympia. Thank you
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM

For some reason, Greece makes it VERY difficult to get what you want. You must be a LICENSED Guide to accompany tourists inside a Site -- so all those "taxi guides" are no use. BUT ... where to find a licensed guide?!?!? Sometimes they're around the gate to an ancient site, but if you try to hire one, they make you wait until they collect a group.

A POSSIBLE SOLUTION -- Someone on another website gave me a link to an official-type site ... but the text is in Greek, German or French, NOT english. Go Figure!! However, the French page is a French-Greek-English Hybrid. There is a list of Guides ... including one that works OLYMPIA Hurray! There is an e-mail. NOTE: the e-mail has a greek component OTO but don't use it -- the greek explanation above the list says that OTO should be @. At least give it a try!!

ADD=ONS -- Her fee is probably for meeting you at the site... you'll need to taxi from your cruise ships to Olympia & back ... or pay her to come in a car & fetch you . And do not expect it to be cheaper than the ship's excursion.

Good luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Travelerjan, thanks for your reply.....so what is the website?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Try sending an email through this site,
http://www.olympia-greece.org/to-olympia.html
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I'm sorry.... I was so busy looking at the website & interpreting, I forgot to give the lilnk. Yiassas may have a better link, also, I'll check that out. Here's my link:
http://www.tourist-guides.gr/guides.aspx?lang=fr&id=76
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Travelerjan, you are right, the website is Greek to me! Did email and it wasn't bounced back. Have you used this person?
Yiassas thanks for the website. I sent an email for pricing. Have you used this guide?
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 09:01 AM

No, I haven't used them, I only live a couple of hours away!
I just happen to keep tons of useful Greek sites in my favourites!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Yiassas, since you are almost a local, I have a few questions. How far is Olympia from the port? I am expecting very hot weather in late July, am I correct? Any shade?
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM

At a rough guess I'd say 25-30km, & yes very hot in July!
Tips:
Buy the combined ticket for site & museum, €9 against €6 individually.
Do the site 1st as it's cooler in the morning, then the well aircon'd museum later as it's getting hot!
There are some trees around the site to take a breather in the shade, but make sure you have water, hat & comfy footwear!
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM

In Sept will stop in Katakolon on a Tuesday as a cruise stop, from 12 noon to 7 PM. I am reading this thread with interest as I am inclined to rent a car and drive to Olympia, see the ruins and the museum, spend a little time (and probably money) in Olympia town. But I wonder if I would be happier with a guide for the ruins?
Question: Are there guides available at the ruins? Do they have to be booked in advance?
Are there self-guided walks available?
Thanks for any info regarding on site guides.
(Thank you, yiassas, for the link, and I have emailed that person.)
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:36 AM

Here is a comprehensive map of the site, in English,
http://www.planetware.com/map/olympia-map-gr-oly_e.htm
I think using that with some reading up on the site you can do it quite easily without a guide.
If you still would prefer one I hope the response is good from the link I gave you.
Could someone please let me know when you get a reply & whether it's helpful, thanks!
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to Olympia with a tour, but I found myself wandering away from the guide and taking pictures. I had read extensively about the site and museum before I went, so I found it quite interesting even without the commentary. It is a beautiful place, and I would go without a guide if you have trouble finding one.
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM

Thank you. I have not emailed that tour guide site as I have concluded that I will rent a car, get to the museum first, (apparantly it closes at 3) and then tour the ruins. The olympia-greece site mentioned above gives a great explanation of things. I will print that up. Plus, guide books are available at the museum, plus, last year's cruise by the same ship featured a lecture in the am before docking. Good enough for me. Rental it is.
Thanks again. I got many similar answers from the same inquirey on cruisecritic.