Corinth: Local Transportation Questions

Jun 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Corinth: Local Transportation Questions

In July, I'll be taking the suburban railway from Piraeus to Corinth. I then need to get to Isthmia where we are renting a home near the Kalamaki Beach Hotel. Is the bus station with buses to Isthmia close to the train station? If not, any idea how much a taxi from the train station to Isthmia might cost? Can anyone link me to a detailed map of Corinth? Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance. This is a great forum with helpful, knowledgeable people.
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Here is a map showing your points. You can take either a bus or a taxi which will be at the Proastiakos station.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,0.074759&z=14
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Sorry, the map didn't work out right to the right place of where you are staying, but you least it gives you an idea and you can play with it with your address in Isthmia(maybe it will work)
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Otman --- Here is a case for using a GOOD guide book ... Rough Guide to Greece has the answer you need, including a Map. It notes that changing transport can be a 'nightmare' in Corinth. There are THREE places to get busses (only one of which works for Isthmia). The bus to Isthmia goes from a bus station or rather, a stop, which is at a cafe near to the Ephira Hotel at the corner of Ethniki Andistasis and Aratou. There is no signboard for destinations & times; you have to get tickets and timetable info from cafe (grudgingly provided, the guide notes). Given the above situation, I would advise getting a taxi and specifying Ephira Hotel.

My edition is the 2008 one; you might check Barnes & Noble to make sure this info is still current. BTW, hve you ever considered buying a guide for your Greece visit?? After all, you are probably spending THOUSANDS of Euros on your holiday... why not a few for a Guide?
ROUGH GUIDE is my choice, not for photos but for solid details you get almost nowhere else. One big plus for this guide is that -- because of its ingenious layout -- you can actually pull out sections, use Duct Tape as a clever "binding" and not lug the whole book in your baggage. I have done this for Crete, the Peloponnese, Athens and the Cyclades sections. Many many of us Greece "regulars" do this.
Jun 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info travelerjan. I do have a guide book for our trip. It did not include the specific, practical details about Corinth related to my request. I'll check out Rough Guide next time.
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM

You'll have no problems finding taxis outside the station, and as travellerjan suggested, I'd take a taxi if you have luggage. But when you are visiting in the day and transfering between bus stops whether to Acrocorinth or Corinth,Loutraki or Istmia ruins etc I wouldn't be put off by the guy at the bus station like the book says. Some people misread Greeks. I had no problems taking the bus. You can go Loutraki from the same stop. The bus stops are all near each other and he will tell you how long you have to wait.