Priceline for Europe?

Search

Priceline for Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline for Europe?

This coming June we will need to find rooms in Vienna for 3 nights and Budapest for 4 nights. Is there anyone who has used Priceline for hotels? How does that compare to just finding places that are charming, inexpensive and in a good location in each city? We usually find 2 or 3 star small family run hotels in the center of wherever we are, but with the $ so low, we're thinking we can forgo charm for saving $. I wanted to do this in London, but I was with girlfriends, so I only had to pay for half a room anyway, so the exchange didn't hurt so much. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 08:14 PM

About three years ago, I used Priceline for Budapest. I got the Marriott for $66 total. We even asked for an extra bed upon check-in for our third person in the room. They had a bed set up for us and no charge.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM

The main drawback of Priceline in Europe is that the zone maps are generally large enough that you cannot be sure you will get a good location from your bid. So you have to study them judiciously.

What I do is look for a hotel that I am happy with in terms of price and location. Then I look at the pros and cons of using Priceline in that area compared to the hotel I've already selected, and figure out what the maximum possible bid would be such that it would still be worthwhile. Of course you have to consider taxes and fess, and if breakfast is included with the non-Priceline hotel, I also factor that in.

My general statistic so far is that Priceline is a good idea for Europe about 20% of the time, if that. But if I required 4* hotels and was not fussy about location, then Priceline would be a good idea for Europe most of the time.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM

Have you looked at www.biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels people are winning in Vienna and Budapest, and at what prices?

I've found it to be great for London (although not as good a bargain last time, in October), but haven't tried other European cities.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 03:02 AM

and www.betterbidding.com . you will see which hotels are usually accepting bids and at what price for what dates.

conventions can totally eliminate any good bargains in any city.

i also like to compare www.gtahotels.com which USUALLY includes breakfast and all taxes.

it is amazing to compare many hotel websites and internet sites. i have seen a hotel for 65 euros incl. breakfast and taxes all the way up to 110 euros for the same place, same dates.
amazing.

we stayed at the marriot exec. apts in budapest. it was low season ,but they have fabulous 2 bedroom, 2 bath places with kitchentte and small living room at very competetive rates if you are travelling with more than two people. breakfast was included.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. We use Priceline in the U.S. almost always, but since I've always stood by my mantra that a 2 star is good enough for Europe, "it's just somewhere to sleep", I suppose a 4 star chain hotel at discounted U.S. $, should be just as good! Who needs atmosphere when you're asleep? Lincasanova, where did you find the Marriott Ex. Apts? My sister and BIL are coming and a 2 bedroom 2 bath apt. would be great, if the price is good. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM

We used priceline for Vienna and got the Vienna Marriott for around $150 per night. It was **** and we had a nice room with KS bed which had lots of fluffy pillows and big bathroom. And it was very quiet. We usually prefer charming and quaint but went the PL route and were not disappointed. It did not, however, include breakfast but coffee was available.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I just got the Marriott Budapest
for Sept. 2008, $75 bid accepted, plus tax and fees. Less than half
the rate online.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Got the Marriott at Heathrow for April, 2008--$77.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM

on www.marriot.com.

winter rates wre very cheap.
they are called the millenium executive apartments.
weekends in winter are now 135 euros includig breakfast.

very conveniently located. not far from their hotel. these flats are on a quiet side street a few steps from the river.

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again!
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM
LN

Hi

DH and I used Priceline for the larger cities last year when we spent a month in Europe.

In Vienna we got Mercure's Josefshof in the museum district using Priceline and it was in walking distance to most everything. We found it to be great, a KS bed, a small separate sitting room and lots of peaceful quiet!

The rate was probably around $100 American and it was in USD cause I mentioned how great it was that we escaped the euros.

have a wonderful visit