Presents for Swedish relatives

Old May 19th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Ann

Presents for Swedish relatives

We're traveling to Sweden in June and would appreciate suggestions for gifts we can take relatives we are meetin. We need ideas for some things on the small side, because they must fit in carry-on bags. Thanks for help.

Old May 19th, 2002, 11:44 AM
xxx

Where are you coming from? Does your local region have anything that it's famous for?

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:46 PM
ann

we're coming from florida and virginia .land of oranges & peanuts - need something small that will not break - would appreciate any ideas - thanks

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Benita

I don't think you're allowed to bring fresh fruit like oranges to Scandinavia, but peanuts are surely OK. How about some giftpacks with a variety of nuts (salted, smoked, honey-roasted etc.) Everyone loves food and perhaps some good-quality chocolate, jams and jellies, dried-fruit baskets, maybe some locally made cookies, would be welcome.
Things you DON'T want to take, since they're some of Sweden's specialties, are glass,especially art glass, home textiles, knit ware, candles, wooden items such as candleholders, butter knives and decorative things. Remember, Sweden is a very wealthy country, and they have everything readily available, and in many ways they're a much more modern country than the U.S., so don't take anything that you consider "outdated" here, because it most certainly will be there, too.

Hope this helps a little.
Benita

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:45 PM
geiffel

Ann,
I am a Swede living in America. My suggestion for your Swedish friends that would be really "american" is a Tiffany key chain.