Movers in southeast Fl to NY

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movers in southeast Fl to NY

It's been some time since I had to hire movers and I've never moved anything across state lines (sheltered, I know). Any specific recommendations for moving cos. national or local (Boca Raton-Palm Beach County area) would be appreciated. Also any tips/experiences you care to share about dismantling a house filled with a lifetime of stuff. (my Mother's) TIA (I will also post on the lounge)
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 01:53 AM

This must be a difficult time since your mother died so recently and now to deal with moving stuff. Sometimes it is easier to wait a bit since right now you may want to keep everything - but sometimes it helps or it is necessary to just get it done.

The most difficult part is the sorting and discarding - not the actual move. But since movers get paid by the pound and distance, this part is important. It depends on which is more at a premium to you - time or money. You can take a lot of time and sort, donate, sell all sorts of things - run estate sale, take tax deduction, etc. Or you can hire a liquidator to do that for you who will likely give you a flat rate on everything you do not want. With the first you have total control but it takes forever.

First, are there other family members who are going to want some of the stuff - sentimental things. It is amazing how, after the fact, relatives start treasuring that awful painting on the wall you wish she had discarded decades ago. If so, designate a specific date for all involved to loot and plunder - you set the limits on what they can take. Don't you get involved in shipping Aunt Mabel and Uncle Wilbur nonsensical stuff half way across the country.

Second, be brutal about what is worth it to move. As you cry going thru her things (been there) and remember tea parties using her teapot - you perhaps want to keep that. But do you really want to keep 100 teacups she had? Bring someone with you who is less emotionally involved.

Sorting - like on the home organization shows. Three piles - perhaps 3 rooms - Keep, trash, donate - maybe a 4th - sell. Big stuff put different colored post-it notes on depending on category.

What you move should be seriously weeded out. Her favorite chair with the threadworn seat is really not worth it to move, as sad as it makes you to picture her sitting in it. You are really not going to get it reupholstered and put in your bedroom - as much as you think you will. And it probably costs 3 times as much to move it and fix it as it does to buy a new chair. Be brutal and unsentimental as you weed.

You may even need to rent a dumpster. What you move may not be as much as you think. Most moving companies are really locally owned affiliates of national brands - so they are only as good as the local affiliate, no matter what name is on the truck. If you have used a local NY in-state mover, call them - we did and were surprised when moving my Grandfathers stuff from NYC to MA that they were doing a run to Florida and had room on the truck - so that as long as we were not picky about delivery time they moved his furniture for a fraction of what a regular move would have cost.

And search as carefully as you can for cash in the house - my in-laws had a way of stashing emergency cash in books, shoes, etc. We think we got it all, but there is a real possibility some library somewhere found a windfall or worse, that some cash ended up in landfill. And make sure you keep paying the utilities on the house - you don't want to be doing this in Florida in the summer with no a/c and no running water.

My condolences - this is never an easy job.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:12 AM

I don't have anything to add, but I want to offer my condolences, mclaurie. Having personally done this (locally only), I can say that gail has given you excellent advice.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time. Stepfather has sold the house and it needs emptying. Thanks for the condolences.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a good self storage co. in the W Palm Beach area?
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM

If at all possible, ask neighbors who they have used and be sure to check the Better Business Bureau and even the web before committing to anyone.

There are many, many moving scams involving moves from Florida to the Northeast. When we moved our furniture from Naples back to Boston, the mover showed up and told my wife and daughter that the actual cost would be more than twice as much as the estimate. They knew, from reading the internet, that this was a scam and told him to get lost, despite needing to be out of the condo the next day. They found another company that several other people in the complex had used, and they were completely honest.

This is a terrible thing to have to deal with when you are grieving, but there are slime in the world who prey on people at just such times.

I hope you get recommendations here of good movers.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd report back on the very good experiences I had. I used UPS for some items. Brought them to a UPS store where they wrapped/packed them for me including bubble wrap for breakables. The more valuable things went in one box with extra insurance and the rest in another box with basic insurance. They arrived exactly as promised in excellent condition.

For larger items that needed crating, I found a co. online called ccshipping.com With only 1 day's notice they were able to pick up items, bring them to their warehouse, crate and pack them for ground transport. I was given a quote on the phone and while not cheap, perfectly within reason for the job they did. They estimated it could be a month until it arrived. I wasn't in a rush. The shipment arrived in less than 2 weeks in perfect condition. They are linked with Wheaton. I would highly recommend them.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Good to know about the shipping service. Thank you for posting, mclaurie.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad it went well. Happy to hear about the crating option.