Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

premier inn, bath rd, hounsley england to central london

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will be there for 2 nights. can anyone tell me how to get to central london, via public transportation, to see some of the sights? any and all info will be appreiated.
thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:25 AM

The simple answer is - with difficulty. The only reason you should stay near Heathrow is if you have a very early flight from or very late flight to Heathrow.

Your best option is to cancel your booking and find somewhere that's in central London to stay.

The easiest way is to take the Hoppa bus back to Heathrow then the Tube into London
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:26 AM

BTW it's Hounslow
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:26 AM

I'm pretty sure you mean Hounslow which is a suburb of london (and pretty unmemorable if you don't like planes (it's where Heathrow is).

If so Hatton Cross is the nearest tube which will take you into the centre of London in about 40 minutes.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:29 AM

I assume you mean Hounslow?

The 203 and 222 bus run along the Bath Road and stop at Hounslow West tube station. Other routes probably do too. No idea how close a bus stop is to your hotel though. I would ask your hotel about that.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:33 AM

The hoppa bus costs £4 each way to Central Heathrow so would be a complete waste of money unless you are travelling with heavy luggage. As previously mentioned, the hotel sits next to the northern runway at Heathrow airport and isn't close to the centre of London, around 15 miles I think, but before you cancel, and I suspect you booked non cancellable rooms, all the ordinary red London buses, of which there are a lot passing the door of the Premier Inn, are free from the Bath Road to the Central Bus Station at Heathrow to encourage local residents not to drive so you can get too and from the airport free of charge.

From there, take the Piccadilly Line to central London, takes 45-60 minutes and will take you to Knightsbridge, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden without changing. The cheapest way to do so is to buy an Oyster Card at Heathrow Station and you can use it for all tube and bus journies at a reduced cost to buying a daily Travelcard
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"will be there for 2 nights. "

My question is WHY? Is it because you got a huge bargain rate? If so by the time you factor in the cost and time it takes to get back and forth to London, it is probably a false economy. Plus there are ways to get cheap rates in central London.

The ONLY reason I'd stay there is for a very early AM flight out (and I have). But it would only be for that one night. As a base to see London - it would be pretty awful.

Is there another reason you are staying there -- relatives living nearby, a business trip w/ offices in Hounslow, something like that? If not, you can do much MUCH better.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM

I was being polite. Hounslow's horrid. Completely dominated by the airport so it's seas of warehouses.

The last time I went there the heath caught fire.