Pre-paid SIM card at Munich Airport

Apr 20th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Pre-paid SIM card at Munich Airport

Hi,

I will arrive at Munich Airport on 27 April 2013 at 0600 Hrs for a 2 week trip to Austria and Germany. I would like to buy a SIM card at the airport for voice calling. Is there a place I can buy them at the Airport?

Since all the hotels I stay in will have a wifi, I am assuming the cheapest way to call / be in touch with family / friends will be using skype right? Sorry to be asking such a basic question, but I am new to both skype and using a hotel's wifi for this purpose.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Best regards

Mohan
Apr 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM

This shop should have something for you:

Capi
Location: Terminal 2 Level 03 / Terminal 2 Departure (Level 04) / Terminal 2 Departure (Level 04) / Terminal 2 Departure (Level 05)
CAPI has all kinds of electronic articles, ranging from telecommunication equipment (mobiles from all providers) through computer and photography accessories to CDs and DVDs.

You can get cheap mobile rates to call abroad with some SIMs. I have had good experiences with Lebara but I don't know if they will have that brand of SIM at the airport - if they do I recommend them. In Austria you can get a cheap SIM from Billa (which is everywhere) called 'yesss', and I have had good experiences with them too.

Lavandula
May 4th, 2013, 07:56 AM

You will get many sim card service provider companie in the Germany. They provide many services like 2g, 3G, 4G and low call rates also.Tsim provides all sim card services in all countries with reasonable rates. So I suggest Tsim for you.
http://tsim.in/index.php
May 4th, 2013, 08:05 AM

A gotcha in buying a SIM card in Germany had been the requirement to have a local address at some of the stores. I was not sure whether the store did not want to bother with dealing with tourist or that was the stated company policy.

The two places I could buy without residency was Blau.de and Lidl. I bought a SIM at Blau.de store and no local address was needed. Lidl (a convenience store) required an online activation, but when I supplied the hotel address, it took it and let me activate the card.
May 4th, 2013, 02:21 PM

No, it's a government policy. France has the same policy if I understand. I have had that situation every time I have bought a SIM. The first time (Vodafone) the sales assistant did not care and made our Australian address into an Austrian one by default on activation. The second time (Tchibo) we had our rental agreement with us initially, but the following year when I thought I might have to 'wake up' the card (or at least buy a recharge voucher, the sales assistant rang the head office for us to confirm and they told us we needed to have a lease of at least 6 months (which we didn't have). It turned out that our accounts were still active and we had no problem, just recharged (Tchibo SIMs let you keep the credit for 6 years). I do not remember any problem with Lebara, which we bought for overseas calls, but I think they are used to foreigners buying their SIMs. We just bought it from an internet café and activated it ourselves by calling their offices. I have seen a lot of discussion of this on the French boards and if you are ordering directly from them online you do need to provide a French address - but you can just put in your home address, fit in the country somewhere in the address and put 'France' in the box for the country. This works quite well.

Greg, I have heard good things about blau.de, is it cheap?

Lavandula
May 5th, 2013, 06:40 AM

To my knowledge and experience, you need a residence permit only for real cell phone contracts.

For pre-paid SIM cards, the retailer has to see and put on record official ID, i.e. the passport or national ID card.

Whether or not all sales personnel is familiar with this difference or if those providers' computer systems can handle non EU addresses, is another issue.

As "pre-paid" is exactly the correct "German" phrase you use when asking for such a SIM card, I would assume that the aforementioned problems or misunderstanding just reflect the high level of professionalism, training and consumer orientation in retail in this country.
Or, in other words, you cannot expect most staff here to find their own bottoms even with a map. Even less when the "problem" deviates by a millimeter from what is their daily routine.
May 16th, 2013, 04:53 AM

Hi ethanmas Thanks for suggesting the Tsim I used this card while traveling other countries. It saved most of my money. Now I am able to contact my family at very low cost.
May 30th, 2013, 12:38 AM

Even I have gone through their plan. When I compared the data rates of Tsim with the other they are quite cheap. I already purchased it before going on an international tour
Jun 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Remensongalli, what countries were you able to use the TSIM and how much did it end up costing you? Were you able to use data with it, or was it just for calling?
Thanks!