Picking a Not to Expensive Hotel

Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Picking a Not to Expensive Hotel

I've narrowed my choices as best I am able....any recommendations (positive or negative) from the list would really help the final choice:
Hotel Brighton
Hotel Georgette
Hotel Atmospheres
Hotel des Grands Hommes
BW Le Jardin de Cluny
Hotel Crayon by Elegancia

Other than the Brighton, I would be able to get a Superior room.

I will be going to Paris in September.

Thanks!!
Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM

I would take a look at Trip Advisor to see what the most recent reviews are for all these. I don't know them but I find that TA reviews are usually dead on. An occasional bad one doesn't spook me but a pattern of disappointment, tells me to steer clear.
Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Good call. thank you!
Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:36 PM

Don't wait too long to book a hotel in Paris for September. This is peak hotel season in Paris and rooms are not always easy to find.

I am familiar with both the Hotel des Grands Hommes and le Jardin de Cluny. These hotels are well placed and are very satisfactory.
Jun 4th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sarastro! I will book today or tomorrow....I'm leaning toward the Atmosphere at the moment!! Any last minute warnings??
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Look at booking.com review scores also. For that site, the reviewers must have stayed in the hotel -- unlike TripAdvisor.
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM

well, those aren't exactly cheap hotels, I thought you were going to list 2* hotels or something, although they aren't luxurious, sure, but the Brighton is a 4* isn't it? (and I know others are 3* from the ones I know)

I've stayed at the Jardin de Cluny but some years ago. Good location, nice staff, the room and bathroom were large and I think I had a single (or at least a cheap double), so a superior should be nice. My complaint was I had a room looking onto the interior "courtyard" and it was really noisy because the hotel staff were out there until all hours making noise and talking in loud voices, and those sounds really echo in one of those kind of places. I think they had some staff service or kitchen room that opened onto that interior courtyard, don't know. So an upper room overlooking the street should be fine. It's in a fairly quiet location as it's not on a major street. They've redecorated since I was there and it is obviously more modern now, but at least has some color and isn't that stark minimalist stuff (which I hate, you may love it), but it appears to depend on the room.

I think it depends where you want to be, I'd rather be in the Latin Qtr than on the rue de Rivoli where the Brighton is. I like the location of the Grands Hommes near the Pantheon, also, although I don't know that hotel from the inside. I like those rooms a bit better, I'd choose it if the superior room looked good, but I like that traditional decor. If it is their superior room with the view, I'd go for it (there are no good views at the Jardin de Cluny, the street is nothign special). But the location is convenient and even near the RER stop if you wanted to use that for the airport.

I'd check tripadvisor reviews, of course.
Jun 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimar, I didn't know that about Bookings.com....good info!! Great scoop Christina.....okay final TWO:

Hotel Atmosphere (3* #37 on TA and 8.7 on Booking)
OR
Hotel des Grands Hommes (3* #51 on TA and 8.8 on Booking)
Jun 4th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Hotel Atmospheres is closer to the Metro, but on a larger street.

Grands Hommes is farther from the Metro, on a quieter street, but I would lean toward Atmospheres.

It's a tough call.

Which place can give you a nicer room?

By the way, I have not stayed at either.
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

You have brilliantly summarized my dilemma tuscan. I was leaning toward the Atmospheres, but then I checked the distances to the Metro, and it is only three minutes farther away from the nearest station. Other than the distance issue, the main difference seems to be decor....modern v. traditional. I'm torn!!
Jun 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

...and the coin flip says....Hotel Atmospheres....I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks to all for the input.
Jun 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM

That hotel used to be the Sully St Germain up until just early this year. Changed owners and renovated (Atmospheres). The photo on Google earth would have scared me away from it, but maybe that is long past (all the barricades and construction in front of it). I hope so.

Do you know actual room size? Lots of complaints on Tripadvisor about tiny rooms at Atmosphere, even for the superior. Both could have small rooms, I suppose.
Jun 4th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Since it is our first stop during our trip, I splurged and went with the deluxe. Apparently those rooms are significantly bigger. I asked the same question about the construction of a trip advisor person who just was there, and said the construction is a non-issue.

Thank you again Christina!
Jun 4th, 2013, 01:20 PM

sounds good. It is a little closer to a metro stop, although the other one is near the RER stop, that's all.