Prayer for Tourists

Aug 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Prayer for Tourists

I am sending this wonderful Prayer for Tourists on to fellow Fodorites as a means to thank you all for the wonderful tips I have gotten and, I am sure, will continue to get from you all. My friend in Spain who will be travelling with us in Italy this fall, sent it to me.
Prayer for Tourists.

Heavenly Father, look down on us your humble, obedient tourist servants, who are doomed to travel this earth, taking photographs, mailing postcards, buying souvenirs and walking around in drip-dry underwear.

Give us this day divine guidance in the selection of our hotels, that we may find our reservations honoured, our rooms made up and hot running water from the faucets.

We pray that the telephones work, and the operators speak our tongue.

Lead us, dear Lord, to good, inexpensive restaurants, where the food is superb, the waiters friendly and the wine included in the price.

Give us the wisdom to tip correctly in currencies we do not understand. Forgive us for under tipping out of ignorance and over tipping out of fear. Make the natives love us for what we are, and not for what we can contribute to their worldly goods.

Grant us the strength to visit the museums, the cathedrals, the palaces and castles listed as a “must” in the guidebooks.

And if perchance we skip an historic monument to take a nap after lunch, have mercy on us, for our flesh is weak.

Amen.

Happy Travels.
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Amen
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM

LOL this is great!
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM

LOL !!!
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Hi B,

I love it !!!
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Very funny, but they forgot to pray that the toilets flush and the showers have pressure.
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM

This was great!! I am going to send this to the group who are going to Ireland with us in September.

I am trying to find my copy of "The Ten Commandments" of travel...or "of traveling with a tour" or something like that...does anyone have that? Its pretty funny for groups....if I find it I will post it....now, where is it???
Shadow
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Shadow, is this what you're looking for?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=2&tid=1300419

I hope your travel prayers have been answered
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Precious Bellini, and soooo true!!
May I just suggest to your friend in Spain that he add to the prayer that our flights depart on time and arrive as schedule and that we have seatmates that are considerate and thoughtful.
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM

Hi,
I have been carrying a copy of this in my trip planning folder for years.
You have missed out on the last half.

"Dear God, protect our wives from "bargains" they don't need or can't afford. Lead them not into temptation for they know not what they do.
Almighty Father, keep our husbands from looking at foreign women and comparing them to us. Save them from making fools of themselves in nightclubs. Above all, please do not forgive them their trespasses, for they know exactly what they do.
And when our voyage is over, grant us the favour of finding someone who will look at our holiday snaps and listen to our stories, so our lives as tourists will not have been in vain.
Amen"

Rosemary
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM

Dear Father,

May our humble luggage arrive at our destination within the hour of our arrival and may all who travel with us find peace and contentment in all that surrounds us.
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I am so glad that so many of you are enjoying this prayer. And thanks to all for the additions, especially Faux for the "toilets that flush", LoveItaly for the flight departure and Rosemary for the last half.
I made a copy of the "Ten Commandments of Travel" to pass on to my travel companions.
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Holy Maria Santa Novella, that's great. Thanks, Bellini(on of my favorite drinks)
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM

LOL!
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Lest we forget to pray that the Lord grant us the wisdom to remember that speaking slower and louder in English will not make (insert non-English speaking foreign country here) understand us any better.

Also, a prayer to give us the leg strength to perfect "the squat" when the need arises.
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM
P_M

Bravo, Bellini1!! =D>

I always say a prayer to the luggage gods since I have such rotten luck with delayed luggage. But I can see now there are many more things I should pray for.
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Someone put up a thread awhile back about things to wish for on your trip that was quite funny:

That all your flights leave on time.

That the person sitting next to you on the airplane does not drench herself in perfume.

There was a whole list. Perhaps someone else has the time to look up the thread. I don't remember what the title of it was, but it was very funny.
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Love this, Bellini 1! I think we should all have it laminated and keep it with our passports in a safe place.

Thanks!
Aug 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Grazie Bellini1, I loved it...