Search

Thank you Robbiegirl

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:17 PM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Robbiegirl

I read your postings last week about assisting the woman who passed out at the Doge's Palace. I thought you were such a nice person to help her and how lucky the woman was to have you there.

Fifteen minutes ago, I just found out that the person you assisted was my mother. My mother has been home from Italy for almost a week but did not tell the rest of the family what happened to her until today when she got back from her doctor. (This is a result of same strange stoicism on her part. Needless to say, the rest of the family is upset with her for not having told us but that's another story.)

The doctor told her that she is fine and the incident was a result of dehydration and a spike in her sugar level. I'm insisting that she go and get a second opinion and I will join her on that one.

But I can't tell you how grateful we are for your assistance. My mother means the world to us and the idea of something happening to her so far away and without us being there to help her is just too horrible to imagine. Although my mother has been in good health, she does have a hip problem and being overprotective children, my sister and I hadn't really wanted her to go on this trip alone (although with a tour) but we didn't want to stop her from her love of travel. We obviously never thought that this would happen.

I just want you to know how grateful I am that you, a complete stranger to my mother, took the time and missed your tour to take care of her and comfort her. A lot of people in this world wouldn't do what you did and I'm so grateful that you were there.

When my mother told me about the incident, I immediately remembered the initial Fodors thread and told her about it. She was amazed and remembered you. I know she will be posting her thanks too.

I always knew Fodorites were special, but you have to be the most special of all. Thanks again.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:23 PM

Wow, what a coincidence! Who needs fiction books if the life itself is so much interesting. Small world, huh?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM

Oh my gosh! What a coincidence. wj1, I'm glad to hear that your mom is okay, and Robbiegirl, you are a hero. Fodors certainly is a small world.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:09 PM

That's wonderful! I needed to see something inspiring today and that helps a lot.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
WOW!!!!!What a wonderful thing for our Robbiegirl to be there.
wj1, Glad to hear your mom is fine
Do you live near eachother?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Bestmommiedearest

My heartfelt thanks to Robbiegirl. This has to be one of the biggest coincidences of all time. It was just as my daughter saidhe had read your posting, and thought what you did was quite remarkable. Then, when I told her about the experience, she remembered reading what you had to say. You are such a special person for helping me the way you did, and I really want all the Fodorites to know how wonderful you are. And when I was discussing the incident with my physician today, he thought so too! And used the information you shared with me about all that went on while I was "out of it" for my history.
I was really annoyed with myself for not getting information from you as to how I could communicate with you to thank you properly, and am so delighted to be able to do it now. Just to update you, my doctor, after running a bunch more tests and checking me out pretty thoroughly, says all is well, and that I can just lead my life as I did before! And I can even travel again, which means a lot to me. Although my daughters have already informed me that we will need a conference before I attempt any more trips!!

I know it was scary for you as well as for me, and I don't think I will ever forget you for all you did for me. And how patient your husband was, while all this was going on--my thanks to him, too.
Again, my thanks, although that sounds like such a weak way of expressing the gratitude I feel.

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is Awesome. A word I hate for its-overuse but fitting here. Can someone bring up Robbiegirl's trip report for others to read? I tried but didn't find it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
wj1
Original Poster

Robbiegirl's inital posting is:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...21&start=0

By the way, here's another intersting bit of info. When the hospital in Venice released her, they just sent her on her merry way. She walked back to the hotel!!

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM

This just gives me chills and makes me want to hug somebody
Wow. Robbiegirl, how kind and how great that you are able to be thanked in such a lovely way~
wj1 and Mom, I am so happy that Mom is OK.
The Kindness of Strangers!
This is such a great story !!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:45 PM

Not to repeat Scarlett's comment, but I just got home a bit ago and just read this thread. It gives me the chills too. I am sitting here with my mouth in a big "OH" and tears in my eyes.

Isn't life strange, wonderful and beautiful.

How wonderful of the family to post this thread. Thank goodness all is well.

And oh Robbiegirl, although you obviously know, but see what an act of kindness and care can do. You were her angel for sure.

May we all never be so busy or intent about our own lives that we don't take the time to help each other.

Peace!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:01 PM

TTT
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM

What a wonderful story!! and what a coincidence also.
You are a wonderful caring person Robbiegirl,people like you make the world a better place to live..
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:46 PM

ttt
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:13 PM

WJ1 and the beautiful Ms. MK,
I have to say that it was wonderful to meet her in the first place. I enjoyed speaking with you (your mother) as we walked up the steps. When she mentioned she was having difficulty, I stood there for a moment but felt I was being "nosey" as my husband often tells me I am. I walked to the group. My husband came back and said "hey, Rob, that lady fell". I went to check on you (your Mom) and saw that her color was blue and she had stopped breathing. I asked if anyone knew CPr and when i went to bring you to your back, they tour guide stated I should not move you since you might have hurt your head and neck. while getting you to where I could check your airway, I explained to them that your airway was number one importance. the bottom line is all this thanks and I felt guilty for not going to the hospital with you!
Both my husband and I were so happy to see you the next day at the airport because we wondered all day long how you were doing.
I had to make sure to get your history, allergies etc, in the event that you might go out again..which I really did not think you would.
although i am not a physician, I feel that you probably had what is called a VasoVagal repsonse from the climbing the stairs, being tired etc.
You looked absolutely beautiful at the airport. You are a classy and beautiful woman and I am glad to meet you. I thank G-d that you are well and it was really nice to meet you.
This is a small world. We are all here for each other no matter where we are or where we go. No act of kindness goes unturned.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:42 PM

Good for you, Robbiegirl!

We are, all of us living on this planet, connected in ways we cannot even begin to imagine. Acts of kindness such as yours are like little sparks that leap from one person to another. They expand our hearts and enlarge the presence of goodness. Create enough of them and this world could be a safe "home" for all of us, wherever we may be.

Thank you for contributing to our "home improvement"!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM

Now that I have read Robbiegirls response and Croque_Madames posting, oh my, I really am tearing up. Sorry, but I just so often wonder why we can't all be more kind to each other.

And some are, real angels for sure. Like robbiegirl and Croque_Madame.

Life, if we would all be more kind, less critical with more care for our fellowman (fellowperson?) would be easier to endure.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:58 PM

Oh, WOW, this is just absolutely incredible!

Robbiegirl, you are a fine, fine person and I'm glad you are a little bit "nosy". Just think what happens to so many people in the world because people either are afraid or are unwilling to get involved in a situation. Many, many blessings to you & your family, Robbiegirl.

Many, many blessings to wj1 and to her mom, Bestmommiedearest.

What a small, small world. Who would imagine? This needs to be linked to one of those "did you ever meet a fellow Fodorite on your trip" threads.

Tears just a-rollin'! Thank you for sharing. :')
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:10 AM

Another beautiful and touching experience! We need more of them in this world - even if they don't get posted on Fodors. Just wonderful - thanks for sharing with us.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Keeping this a the top because we all need to read about kindness.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Robbiegirl,

I was so encouraged by your selfless act of kindness. Since my family leaves for Rome in two weeks, and I have been diligently reading the posts here on pickpocket warnings and experiences of people getting shorted in their change, etc. And while I very much appreciate all this advice, it has made me paranoid. So your kindness has help restore my faith in mankind. I agree you have to be diligent, but not everyone is waiting to take advantage of you. Thanks so much for making my day!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -