Search

Praiano - Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Praiano - Amalfi Coast

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has visited Praiano. I was going to stay in Positano but the villa I wanted was booked out. The choice in Praiano seems a bit better (and not as expensive!). My main requirement is somewhere with a decent selection of restaurants and bars as we will be staying in self catering accommodation and will be there for a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as a search for "Praiano" on this forum gives just one response!

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - meant to post this on the Europe board.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Plates. If you place the word Praiano in the search this Forum box and Italy in the other, you will bring up at least 50 responses with this town somewhere in the title.
That said, this town is much quieter then some on the Amalfi coast. It is very friendly. We self catered there in May 2002 and enjoyed it very much.
I felt there were a decent amount of restaurants with good food.
Some of the hotels are even to luxury level so I am sure these would have first class places to eat.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Praiano is between Positano and Amalfi. It is a very small 'village' with quite some restaurants and a small pebblestone beach. Beach access is not so easy as you might wish.

You need a car in Praiano, I don't recall any sufficient food/beverage shop for a longer self-catering stay.

It is more a place for 'Italian people at the beach', not 'popular', because the prices are high everywhere over there.

I don't know what you mean by 'decent' restaurants and bars, but Praiano is not 'posh' as Positano. I have no memory of any 'nightlife'.

If you want the easygoing life in Positano, then Praiano might not be what you are looking for...
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 05:38 AM
DRJ

Google for Onda Verde. I stayed there for a week a few years ago. Convenient, rooms with views and a good kitchen.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 05:45 AM
ira

Hi plates.

Praiano has at least two very good restaurants - La Strada and La Brace on the main road.

The orange bus provides regular service between Praiano and Positano. SITA buses provide service to all of the towns between Sorrento and Salerno.

There is a grocery shop on the main road at the bus stop. I was told that there were others higher up the hill.

There is a nightclub, Africa, located in a grotto a few km east and accessible by the orange bus.

See my trip report for further info.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:24 AM

I was staying in Praiano in May too. It is a nice little village with some nice restaurants as Ira and others say. There is not much, if anyting, to do at night, and Africana is open only in the summer. Above the main road is another little grocery store called Tutti por Tutti where I shopped.

If you want peace and quiet Praiano is the place for you, and bus service stops fairly early in the evening.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM

There is also a very small but accomodating meat shop on the main road and an internet shop.
The shops do close mid day so if you plan for supper it must be early in the day.
We loved it there. Too many shops, shops, shops for my taste in Positano.

There is bus service, as was mentioned, but it would be easier with a car.