Reload this Page >

Prague - where to stay what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:32 AM
lynny

I shall be going to Prague for the first time in early September (for one week). Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere reasonably priced, but in the Old Town area to stay? I quite fancy an appartment or b&b. What are the 'must do' things?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Apart

One might czech past "threads" (posts by subject on a given country) for the answers. Also, for whatever reason, this is indexed under HUNGARY, while I recall Prague as being in the CZECH REPUBLIC -- that possibly making a difference in response rate.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Linda

Try nethotels.com or www.avetravel.cz We stayed at what is now Guesthouse Balbin near the Muzeum Metro & Wenceslas Square. It is very nice, clean, easy walk to just about everywhere, safe, very reasonably priced with a good buffet breakfast. (yes, shower & toilet in room). It is on the top floors of apartment building (elevator after 1st short flight) and locked door to outside. The 'must do' thing is seeing the Charles Bridge at night. The Astronomical clock, Jewish area, palace area, shopping for garnets & crystal, eating very inexpensively and well, trying bekerovka (not spelled right but Czech liquor) and kolace (our spelling kolache) which is dough with filling and topping, seeing the Opera House, just looking at the incredible architecture, visiting the flea market in the street near the Charles Bridge, etc.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Tom

Lynny - try these URL's<BR><BR>http://www.timeout.com/prague/index.html<BR><BR>http://www.eurocheapo.com/prague/<BR><BR>http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague/index.html

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Christina

I haven't used this site, but heard favorably from someone who has, and it has a good selection of hotels, pensions and apartments (one of the few sites that have all those: www.marys.cz<BR><BR>Other than that, I think avetravel is a good resource. I know the Cloister Inn is mid-price and in the Old Town area and highly recommended by guidebooks (and a few personal posts on here): www.cloister-inn.cz<BR><BR>I think the Prague Castle complex, Old Town, Jewish Quarter, and Charles Bridge area are the biggest must-do things. Prague has a lot of good museums, if you like those, as well as beautiful architecture--see St Nicholas in Mala Strana for one building. I believe timeout will help you with that, or fodors/frommers online has basic sight-seeing info.