Prague Weekend. But No Pancaky!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Dear! We just returned from Prague, but evidently missed out on the sweet crepes highlighted in ThinGorjus report. Its a sign that we must return.

The weather was wonderfully warm and sunny. We took the CEDAZ bus from the airport to town (Nam Republiky) for 3 Euro. From there we could walk everywhere.

Stayed at the Four Seasons, near the Charles Bridge. Lovely room, large bathroom with L Occitane products, full breakfast for 250 Euro/night.
A bit of a splurge, but we felt worth it.

Dinner was at Mlynec. We sat on the terrace directly next to the Charles Bridge, and had a great time watching the boaters and ducks. I had seared yellow fin tuna in ginger; my husband had sea bass in Thai coconut sauce. We had appetizers and a bottle of white Moravian wine for about 100 Euro. The food was good.

Mlynec and her sister restaurants V Zatisi and Bellevue are all in the Michelin guide, and walk able from the Charles Bridge area.

I just could not get enthused by Czech food: cabbage, duck, pork or dumplings.

After our meal we meandered through Old Town. It was about 10 pm and things were going full tilt: all stores open, cafes and restaurants bursting with people. Great atmosphere.

We did do some shopping. I bought a Czech ceramic plate, a Pashmina and a small candle lit chandelier. The shop owner told us that the Pashminas and glass lamps are all made in India; he could not survive only selling Czech pottery.

It was a lovely, mild evening and we stopped in a café for a Budweiser. Two 4 deciliter beers cost only 3 Euro. We noticed many groups of British Hen and Stag parties. I guess because the beer is so inexpensive (and good); this is a popular destination for that type of thing. But why must the British boys always take their shirts off? Yuck.

The next morning we explored the Jewish Museum. It opens at 9 am on Sunday, and was not yet crowded. The Old Jewish Cemetery was especially amazing. Quite a sobering sight.

We finished our trip with my husbands favorite activity: he got a haircut. A wash, cut and style by a sweet, young Czech gal set him back 7 Euro! Quite the bargain and he looks great.

We voted Prague The Most Beautiful European City. Its Vienna, Tallinn, Berlin and Moscow mixed in a blender and spit back out. The city had a vibrant feel to it. We still considered it a bargain.

And we will be back for the Pancaky!

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:15 AM
ira

I take it you enjoyed your visit, Queenie?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:32 AM

I think we ate at Mlynec. We ate at a restaurant next to the Charles Bridge, on an outside terrace. Were there paddle boats for hire right below the terrace?? The food was good there, but we only had a light lunch.

We didn't have warm, sunny weather. It was cloudy from Friday, July 9 to Thursday, July 15. The weather was beautiful this past Friday, the day we went to Cesky Krumlov.

Yes, we saw so many stag parties, English and Irish hooligans walking around with their shirts off, singing football songs. Thankfully, they were only there for the weekend.

What country are you from, Queenie??
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:45 AM

Glad you had a nice trip, Queenie. Thanks for the report!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You and John, inspire me to, maybe visit there one day.
(good morning Statia)
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Good Morning, Mimi! Nice to "see" you!
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

John,
In my former life I worked in Center City for 10 years. 7th & Chestnut. That city also has a great vibe.

But now I'm living the sweet life here in Switzerland. So Prague is only 1 hour away.

Sorry about your weather. We were very lucky with warm sunshine over the weekend. Lord knows we earned it with the cold and wet summer we have had here in Europe.