Prague to Venice?? Best way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow fodorites. Happy New Year to you all. I need some help with my travel planning for June 2015. What do you think is the best way to get from Prague to Budapest?

I have consulted the Man in Seat 61 website about trains but it seems to be an awfully long journey. I'm not interested in the overnight train from Vienna to Venice as it gets in at 8.30am and we wont be able to get into our apartment until 4pm.

I have looked on Skyscanner and can't find any direct flights from Prague to Venice. Brussels airlines has Prague to Brussels and then Brussels to Venice with a 50 minute gap in between. I'm worried this leaves no room for error.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:56 PM

There are many options with one stop in range of 2-5 hrs total traip such as Lufthansa via FRA or MUC, Swiss via ZRH, KLM via AMS, etc. Any reason why you are no looking at these? If you restrict your options to budget point-to-point airlines, unless you find a direct flight, you own the connection responsibility.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:58 PM

How about Prague to Venice Treviso airport? Wizz Air has direct flights in June. For example, direct flight on Tue June 16 costs $73 (plus fees perhaps), according to Kayak.com, leaving 10:45am, arriving 12:05pm.

Not sure how difficult it is to get from Treviso into Venice itself, but I guess if you can get the direct flight you'd live with any extra ground hassle at the end.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 02:06 PM

Best Way? Private jet with private water taxi/ pickup and drop off to your apartment door. How else does anyone do it?
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 02:41 PM

There is bus service from Treviso to Venice, that coordinates with flight arrivals. It takes a little under an hour and costs about $13.00. Google Treviso to Venice by train for current info.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 03:26 PM

I like booking flights with 6 hour layovers - - see if you can do that through Brussels (sometimes you have to click a link that shows more flight options, or even force it as a multi-segment connection). If you get one of those, then you can leave the airport and go downtown, and still get back to BRU (or another connecting city) in plenty of time. Even if you look at other options and find a three hour connection, hanging out at airports isn't that bad.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you trying to get from Prague to Budapest or Prague to Venice? You tagged the thread "Hungary, Italy" and ask about getting from Prague to Budapest, but then you refer to trains and flights from Prague to Venice.

Just curious... If you don't like the transportation options between points, why put them back-to-back?
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 09:57 PM

As you say Jean, a confused question. And where does Vienna come into the equation? Prague to Venice. Prague to Budapest. Vienna to Venice. What happened to Prague to Vienna?! And what happens after Budapest? Budapest to Venice??

It may the after effects of NYE but I can't make anything out of this one.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 10:56 PM

Just go Prague-Vienna from 19 euros www.cd.cz/eshop, and take that overnight train Vienna-Venice from 89 euros www.oebb.at

No airports, no flights, no stress - and dinner in Vienna before a unique European sleeper train experience.

No big deal if you can't get into your apartment until 4, if they have a reception you leave your bags and go off exploring, if they don't you use the left luggage office at the station and go off exploring. Simples!

Alternatively, Prague-Vienna in 4h11 from 19 euros www.cd.cz/eshop and stay overnight, then take the 06:30 day train with breakfast on the train as it runs through the superb scenery of the Semmering route through Graz and Villach to Venice.

Vienna-Venice from 29 euros ($35?) at www.oebb.at

Arriving by train, you rumble across the famous causeway over the lagoon into central Venice with anticipation building, then walk out of Venice Santa Lucia station straight onto the Grand Canal with waterbuses and gondolas. It's one of those treasured travel moments!
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 09:33 AM

"Arriving by train, you rumble across the famous causeway over the lagoon into central Venice with anticipation building, then walk out of Venice Santa Lucia station straight onto the Grand Canal with waterbuses and gondolas. It's one of those treasured travel moments!"

Agreed, there are few ways of arriving somewhere that have the same impact as walking out the door of the station onto the Grand Canal does.

One that comes to mind that is very impressive is arriving in the early morning on an overnight ferry from Athens to Rhodes. The ferry sails into Rhodes Harbour and the Old Town is laid out before you.

http://www.visitgreece.gr/deployedFi...as_510_331.jpg
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to give Prague a miss this time and stay 4 nights in Vienna. I have booked an apartment through Airbnb and am now trying to book my train ticket from Vienna to Venice. The obb website wont accept my payment and I cant work out why. I am selecting "Pay by Credit card" even though what I have is a debit card because there is no debit card option. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

For those who are interested I managed to buy my tickets online by getting my bank to temporarily remove "verified by visa" from my account.