Prague Language and Apartments

Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Prague Language and Apartments

I am considering Prague as an alternate location to spend a break of anywhere between 1 and 5 months, beginning in August. I have read a guide book, and looked through some websites, but I'm concerned about the language. Is it possible as an American to live satisfactorily there for months without knowing the language which seems to be very difficult?

Also, please recommend the best district of Prague for a long-term apartment rental.

Thank you.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:41 PM

Vinohrady area is popular with American ex-pats and I know some that live in the Dejvice area, both areas i very much like. language wont be a major problem as English is widely spoken especially by the younger folk.
http://locallingo.com/
this link will help you with some of the basic language.
http://www.expats.cz/for-him/
the ex-pats website should be able to help you more with long term accommodation.
Jun 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM

I picked up basic Czech before I lived in Prague (in my opinion, it's not right to go to a country to live and not make the effort to be able to speak the language to at least a basic level). However, I know people who lived there for a year or two who never really spoke any Czech beyond hello/please/thank you/yes/no (and managed to find apartments etc.). So yeah, it's doable.

While I was there I stayed in Prague 4 (Budejovicka) (don't worry about that, probably further out than you'd want), Vinohrady and Smichov. Out of those three, I would probably go with Vinohrady - there's a nice social scene, restaurants (we loved Radost restaurant - jummy vegetarian food, a club downstairs, and after I left Rihanna even filmed 'Don't Stop the Music' there - very weird to see a New York cab pulling up at that intersection in the video), parks etc., nice old buildings, about 15 mins to walk down to Wenceslas Sq (depending on where you start from of course) but you don't get all the tourists and stag parties and so on. Good metro connections as well. Smichov probably doesn't have as much character but again there's some big parks (names escape me, but with the little Eiffel Tower in it), you can walk to Mala Strana and across to the Old Town pretty easily if you don't mind walking, there's a big mall if you like that kind of thing.

Anyway, I agree you'll get probably the best info from expats.cz
Prague is pretty neat, have fun!
Jun 4th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you unclegus and gwan for your insights. I really do appreciate your time and advice.
Jun 5th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Petrin park is where you are thinking of and the tower is of course the Petrin tower.I was in the Smichov area a couple of weeks ago when i was in the city,huge new shopping center right at the Andel Tram/metro interchange some nice pubs and resturants there,but i still prefer Vinohrady.it is just that bit quieter and has a nicer feel to it,can't really explain but when you go you will understand.Prague is a great city and i would move there if I could.
Jun 5th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again to each of you for the advice and insights.
Jun 5th, 2011, 04:38 AM

I second the Vinohrady area. Beautiful buildings, green areas and lots of restaurants abound. It is also convenient to most everything due to the fab public transportation system. Nice apartments are a bit spendier but worth it imo. We have an apartment here but will be moving to the 6th due to schools.

The language won´t be an issue. Prague is a vibrant, business center and much of the business is done in English.