Search

Need a good program in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a good program in Europe

Hey Everybody,

I'm a student in NC, ready to get out & see some world! I want to be in Europe for a couple months in the late fall, and need a brilliant idea to help me get off my feet. Mostly looking at the British Isles, but open to other places definitely! I've looked at the woofing programs, and am intrigued, but am wondering if there are other programs like it that would allow me to stay somewhere for a while and work in exchange for housing/food. I'm talking about non-university programs. I don't have much money, but I've got the determination and open mind to be really excited about new things. Please let me know if you have any ideas at all, I really just need a nudge in the right direction! Thanks so much.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Prague always seem to have needs for ESL (English Second Language) teachers.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I don't know, most of those programs charge you some kind of fee, even though it isn't as much as just taking a vacation. There are various websites with lists of opportunities like www.volunteerabroad.com or www.transitionsabroad.com

It isn't that easy to get a job teaching English in most countries (could be all, I don't know anywhere it is easy), but I know it isn't in PRague as I know someone who did it. It took him months and he had experience and qualifications and a BS degree, and then he had to accept some place outside Prague in a not very exciting area. YOu have to have a degree and a TEFL certificate.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM

I know two (2) people who got jobs teaching English in Prague right out of college (Circa late 90's); one male, one female. I know one person (female) who took a job teaching English in China recently. They all went thru established, accredited agencies and while it took them a while to get all the requirements in line, it certainly did not sound like a Congressional initiative at all....

I can only recommend based on what I have learned to be the case.

Best of luck, d! Do not get discouraged, do what you have to do to go go after your dreams!!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 03:19 AM

check out couch surfing as well http://www.couchsurfing.org/