prague hotels in june

Search

prague hotels in june

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prague hotels in june

I have seen a lot of info on last minute hotel for October, etc. But what about hotels in June? We have plenty of time to book. Prague is our first stop and we plan to spend more for the hotel because we have heard food, etc. is cheaper. Thanks for the input.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM

June is the high season in Prague, and hotels rates will be at their highest while occupancy rates will also be at their highest. You are unlikely to find any last-minute deals at that time of the year. However, if you can make a reservation at a hotel now that allows you to cancel without penalty, then you can continue to shop around for a "deal". If you are willing to spend the money for a hotel room in the Old Town (and that means a budget of around 200 euros), then there are many choices, though still not at the top hotels.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Ya- that is why I am trying to find out info. now but all the post are geared toward Oct, Nov. I have done a TON of research but no one hotel stands out. So any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:11 AM

I've suggested Hotel Roma several times, though I have seen one poster had a negative experience there. It's a hotel on the Mala Strana side of Prague but still not far from the Charles Bridge. On the Old Town side, there are numerous options. For an upscale hotel, I love the Iron Gate and it has an unbeatable location. When I was in Prague a couple of years ago, I stayed at Residence 7 Angels and had a spacious room for a decent price, but this is more of an apartment (though no kitchen) and offers no standard hotel-style services except breakfast in the attached restaurant (though avoid dinner there, which is overpriced).

The Aria is an excellent upscale boutique hotel in Mala Strana, and the Hotel Le Palais is an excellent small hotel that's out of the Old Town area (will require taxis). In the New Town, Hotel Palace Praha and Carlo IV are both good. The Radisson SAS Alcron is also nice.

Hotel rates shoot up in Prague in the summer, so keep that in mind. You don't mention a budget, so if spending more means 100 to 125 euros you aren't going to find much on the list I just gave you that will meet your budget; most of these hotels are more than 150 euros a night and many well over 200 euros a night. Do post your price range, and I think you'll get much more help from the posters.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:44 AM

We stayed in Josefov at the Maximilian and loved it. Incidentally, I have a file on Prague that I compiled from my research when planning our trip several years ago. If you would like it, please e-mail me.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

We plan to spend 200+ euro a night -unless we can find a good deal. I just stumbled on a post for Kampa Island- any thoughts for that area?
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM

Kampa Island is just below the Charles Bridge on the Mala Strana side of the river, and many people like it because it's a bit farther removed from the hustle and bustle of Prague. It's not an inconvenient place to stay, though for sheer convenience the Old Town is better. Some people even find Mala Strana inconvenient, though I'd disagree with that, but it's true that Old Town has a much higher concentration of shops, restaurants, and bars.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM

If money is no object, stay at the Four Seasons. It is in a fabulous location.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help. Now if anyone has any extra info to help me decide between Na Kampa 15 (U Kalova Most) or Kampa Garden hotel that would be great. Thank you again.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM

As far as location, there is really no difference as the hotels are directly opposite each other on Kampa's square. Kampa Gardens backs to the park and U Karlova Mostu (15 Na Kampa) is on the river side with the park on the side. It has a restaurant and popular bar and also has outdoor restaurant seating on the river. Kampa Gardens would most likely be quieter since it has neither restaurant nor bar. I have no opinion re the rooms at U Karlova Mostu since I only had some meals and beers there - try the sausage appetizer. The rooms at Kampa Garden are very nice and a good size. They are decorated in modern Ikea rather than quaint. Kampa Gardens is all non-smoking if that is important to you. Both are no more than 100 yards from the Charles bridge. Cross the bridge and you are in Old Town. IMO not even a little incovenient. The restaurant next door at 14 Kampa is terrific - give it a try. Not expensive either- never spent more than $25 on dinner for two including wonderful strudel and coffee. I do not know if either hotel has AC. For June, that could be a deal maker.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:37 PM

Maximillian is the best choice. Close to everything, but quiet. I am actually writing this response from their lobby right now. Small boutique hotel with incredible service. Rooms are well decorated and they leave complimentary water, wine and fruit. The beds and linens are to die for. THe breakfast, it is included, is also superb with home made muesli, eggs to order and a selection of juices, meats and cheeses. THe rates are in your range. Forget what people say about Prague being less expensive than other European countries though. THe only thing more affordable is the beer. The food, museums, transportation, etc. etc. are just as expensive as everywhere else (London may be a bit more expensive). Good luck.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:42 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Agree on the Maximilian - we stayed there for several nights in September and would be happy to return. Close to all the old town sights, but not in the middle of the mobs.