Search

Prague-Budapest Train

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague-Budapest Train

Hello,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Prague and Budapest and were thinking of taking an overnight train from Prague to Budpest in late May. Most of the train information I have gathered is from RailEurope.

It seems that flights from PRG to BUD can be expensive and none of the low-cost airlines fly that short route. So while the train is pricey as well, you do maximize the day sightseeing and save on hotel costs.

Does anyone have any recommendations on other forms of rail travel between the 2 cities? Also, we were planning on getting a double private compartment but is that worth it instead of a "couchette." With all taxes, etc. the cost of 2 round-trip tickets to Budapest from Prague including couchette reservations is about $600.

Does anyone have any alternatives? Also, we were thinking of splitting our trip 4 days in Prague, 3 days in Budapest? Any experiences?

Thank you!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:20 AM

ttt
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Iassume you are going overnight to maximize sightseeing time. The fastest direct (with no changes) service takes 7 hrs and 21 minutes).

I have used RailEurope in the past BUT if you are going to be in Prague for several days prior to the departure for Budapest you would save money if you were able to book this trip as soon as you arrive in Prague either by going to the RR station or through a local travel agent. Somehow I don;t think you'll have trouble getting space.

I have no idea how fast this train might sell out but in late May you might not have as much trouble as you might later in the "tourist season."

As to coucheet vs. First Class (I assume) private compartment...if the coucheet has two other berths besides your own you may end up sharing the space with others. Frankly, if you are going to spend the money for this I would opt for the private compartment..somewhat more secure and no worries or concerns (if these are issues) as to who might also be sharing...if anyone shares at all.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Sorry for the typos..obviously I meant to type "couchette."
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid,
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:59 AM

Thanks for asking this. We are going in NOvember and I'm not too keen on a 9 hour train ride (or 7.5). We were thinking of stopping in Bratislava. Not sure and open to ideas.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:09 AM

Am also planning a Prague - Budapest trip this Sep-Oct and am not keen on the thought of of a 7.5 (or 9 hour) train journey from Prague to Budapest.

Like eroz, I am also thinking of stopping in Bratislava for a couple of days in between Prague and Budapest.

I managed to find the details of the Euro City / Inter City / Express connections online but not the price. Would anyone know how much first class tickets for the journeys listed below would cost?

Prague - Bratislava - direct Euro-City train (EC 135), a 4 hour 18 min trip.

Bratislava - Budapest - direct Express train (Ex 279), a 2 hour 29 min trip.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:18 AM

Last year I went mid-week return from Bratislava to Budapest; it took about 2.5 hours. That may be an "express" train but it was old and dingy. I paid about 20 US$ return.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Hello:

Can you tell me how your train trip between Prague and Budapest turned out? I am also thinking about taking the night train from Prague to Budapest this fall (mid to late October), because I hear it is a 7 hour journey. Is there at least one night train daily between the two cities? What is the fare? I assume one cannot use the flexipass or other discount pass if one goes overnight. Any experience or recommendations you can provide would be appreciated. Also, we are planning to fly into one city, take the train across, then fly directly out of the second city (rather than do a round trip train ride, we would do a one-way fare).
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:25 AM

Their is one overnight train from Prague to Budapest. Leaving Prague at 23:23 and arriving in Budapest Keleti station at 8:18 the next day. You can use a flexipass for overnight trains. If a train is leaving after 19:00 you enter the next day on the pass. As for the cost of the train ticket I am not sure. I had the eastern rail pass last year and it worked great.