Prague, Budapest and Munich ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a vacation/holiday to Prague, Budapest, Munich and Berlin. Most middle class americans of African descent (we are African American) do not visit Prague, Budapest, and Munich on their first visit to Europe. I admit to being ignorant about vacation planning in Europe, as we are the first in our family and our childhood circles to be in a position to have such a vacation. We want to experience the uniqueness of each city, what are the recommendations, changes, considerations?
Any help and information would be appreciated.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:22 PM

We were in Munich and Berlin this past fall. Both cities have a lot to see and pretty easy to get around by public transportation. make sure to learn the basic phrases in each language and read all you can about from guide books. this site offers great information.
You didn't say much about your interests or how long you plan to be in each city, etc. more info would help others advise...
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:26 PM
MaureenB

I suggest you get some travel books, formulate specific questions about each city, and ask them separately here. You will get lots of help from fodorites who have been there. Also do searches on fodors.com for just about any subject and you'll find good info.
I have been to Munich, stayed at a wonderful B&B type hotel, a converted mansion in a beautiful tree-lined neighborhood by the Oktoberfest park-- the Hotel Uhland. Great continental breakfast included, wonderfully helpful staff, 10 minutes' walk to train depot, free bikes to borrow, free parking, newly refurbished rooms with new bathrooms, a great value.
We took day-trips from Munich by train to Salzburg and Fussen. The Bayern Pass is a steal, check it out. I forget the exact price, but something like 33 EU for up to five people round-trip.
In Prague, we stayed at Pension U Lilie which was a great location near the Charles Bridge, but a bit on the tattered side, although very clean and nice people. Lots of people on this board like Pension Dientzenhofer, so it's worth a look.
Try tripadvisor.com to get peoples' reviews of hotels and to compare prices.
Enjoy planning your trip!

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM

I can only speak to Prague, but I suggest hiring a guide or participating in a guided group to get an overview. It's not that Prague is difficult to figure out, it's not, but the history of the Czech Republic and its place in the context of European history, religion, and culture is not one that many Americans know a lot about--I didn't, before I did my pre-trip reading.

I have a file on Prague; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:26 AM

How long do you have for your trip? If you let people know that, they can start giving you tentative ideas for planning an itinerary that fits in your wishlist of cities.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thak everyone soooo much for being willing to help, I was nervous about exposing my ignorance and inexperience about traveling in Europe!
My preliminary plans are to spend three days in Prague, 2 days in Budapest, and 3 days in Munich. I have not built an itenerary yet and an open to suggestions and ideas. Since this is our first trip, we want to sample as much as possible in each City. We want to try the foods, arts, architecture, history, etc. Our only restriction is safety, no bungee jumping or other extreme activities.
Thanks sooooo much!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:38 PM

Hi,

the trip will be amazing if you need any help, or specific question regarding Hungary post it here or send me an email ([email protected]) and I will help..
Regarding Budapest I would suggest to go through this site first and pick what your interest is as 2 days might not be enough...
http://www.hungary.com/servlet/page?...chema=PORTAL30

This will give you a rough idea on what can you expect..
Briefly my suggestions:
Castle district with the church a fishermans. The church is being renovated, but go in as it is beautiful.. check out the labyrint
Margaret Island. an island in the middle of the cuty with parks, good hotels good contrast..
Parliament building is the 3 rd biggest and one of the most beautiful parliament is nte world.
There is an English language tour at 10, 12am and 13, 14 pm daily.
Not a lot of people know, but for me this would be a must.
Heros Squere, with the city park and lake and some of the best restaurants (Gundel or the cheaest, but excellent Bagolyvar) 2 of the best museums are here as well.
Walk through the Anrassy Boulevard and drink a coffe at an outdoor cafe house at the vibrant Liszt Ferenc square.

Check the Bazilika (big church) and climb the stairs for the view...

Have a read through and any question, let me know.
Tamás