Search

Prague: brewery tour

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague: brewery tour

Hi
I will be visiting Prague next weekend and am looking for a brewery tour that we can do on Friday or Saturday. I would prefer to book direct rather than via a tour company which is always more expensive. Any suggestions please? I have checked the Staropramen brewey and they don't seem to be open on Friday or Saturday!!
Thanks
Cathy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM

We did a tour of the Staropramen Brewery. I just checked their website and according to it, they have tours daily when prearranged. I booked our tour online before we left home. Following is their website:

http://www.staropramen.cz/centrum/eng/index.html

Where did you get your information that they weren't open on Friday or Saturday?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM

Awwww, maaaaan! Urquell's tour is only occasional, and I missed the April 2 one:

<b>http://buddyvse.wz.cz/pilsner.htm</b>
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:00 AM

A year or so back, I did the Staropramen tour on a Saturday so unless that has changed, you'll be okay. We booked ahead of time as well direct with the brewery. From memory, you don't have to pay in advance, they just let you know when a tour in your language is and put you down for that.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM

tt for Cathy
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:37 PM

Sorry if this post is a little negative, but I had two bad and one great experience in the beer culture of Prague. We were there over a weekend and had the tourist office phone ahead on a Saturday morning to schedule a tour of Staropramen that afternoon. After making our way across town and wandering about the massive outside of the brewery we were informed by a guard that there were no tours to be had on Saturdays.

Instead, we booked a Pub Crawl with Prague City Walks with a very nice guide who told us little about Czech beer and in four stops took us to an Irish Pub and a dreary disco.

The next day, we stumbled upon a really fun art exhibition with the subject of beer (that was serving Staropramen no less) at the Manes Gallery on the river.

So the best advice I can give you is to have your hotel confirm a date, time, and location of the tour for you in advance and have them recommend a friendly beer hall for the evening.

But above all, enjoy the Budweiser-Budvar (Budejovice). Thanks to some legal wranglings with a certain King in St. Louis, it is next to impossible to enjoy it stateside.

Rick
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Drv

My spouse and I just returned from Prague and thought we would comment on the experience, here. We stayed right downtown within 100 meters of old St Charles Bridge. Hotel is called hotel Clementin. The room was facing the street and had a great party in the street till 1 AM! Lived vicariously (or slept vicariously).

If you are a history buff, it is fantastic place to visit. However, it is very expensive - if you stay in old downtown area.

Everyone - including &quot;fancy&quot; stores - expect you to bargain on purchases. Everyone is ready to bargain. Cab drivers will charge you 50 Euros to go 50 feet - unless you ask before you get into the cab. So, if you don't like arguing or walking away on a price, don't shop there. We had left Munich to travel to Prague (by car) and found Munich equally expensive but less prone to the insecurity of what to pay for what.

By the way, for those who drive, we loved the car we picked up in Munich from Europcar but we were stopped at the border entering Czech republic by the Czechs and were told that if we went further - into Prague - we would expect to find the car stolen! They said that you need to drive &quot;generic/cheap&quot; cars into Czech republic since theft is rampant for BMW type cars. So, we had to drive back to Wieden and switch to a &quot;throwaway&quot; car! Then, drive back. All went fine in Prague - except a friend was approached on the street and the person wanted to exchange Czech money for Euros at a bargain. He did so and then - next day - found that the &quot;Czech money&quot; was worthless Russian paper money.

So, be careful about all aspects of money and costs - after that, it was a great place with no real fears of safety for your personal welfare etc. And, like I said, if History is your passion, it is a must see.

By the way, we found very few USA folks there. That was fun and intriguing - to be a true minority.

Great place - but watch your money/costs.

Don
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:50 AM

If you don't book an official tour, the Novomestsky Brewery in Vodickova is a much smaller place but, it has a &quot;just turn up&quot; tour in English after 6pm which costs about 60kc.

Jason
www.livingprague.com
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:50 AM

My husband and I are going to Prague and Berlin in 2 weeks. Don, we are going to be staying at the Hotel Clementin. Did you like it? It looks really cute on the website and I've heard good things from others about it. Jason, I loved your website -- great tips and I noted that you had nice things to say about Clementin, as well as some good restaurant suggestions. Any other restaurant or fun bar recommendations would be greatly appreciated for Prague or Berlin. In Berlin we will be staying at the SAS Radisson. Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Here's website that lists all kinds of entertainment and what's going on in Prague:

http://www.praguetourist.com/enter/uvod.htm