Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague, Berlin, Madrid and Lisbon-40 days and 40 nights!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Melanie

Lucky friends of mine have 40 days in Europe, and have mentioned Prague, Berlin, Madrid and Lisbon as their must-see cities. I think that they will fly into Prague in mid-March, and return to the U.S. from Lisbon in late April. <BR><BR>They have already been through Italy and France. What other cities/attractions along their route should they plan to stop and see? And is the east-to-west plan the best for this time of year, or should they do the opposite? Any tips are appreciated!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Ira

Hi Melanie,<BR> That early in the year, I suggest South to North.<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Rod

If they are going to Prague and Berlin, and apparently haven't been to Vienna or Budapest, I'd recommend those places as well -- perhaps Budapest ahead of Vienna. I'd also suggest spending time in more than just the cities. Getting out &quot;into the country&quot; adds considerably to appreciation of the culture and the physical causes and consequences. Finally, of course, I'd not make the list too long or there won't be adequate time to really do justice to anywhere.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 02:21 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hmmm ! Strange choices. The big question is if they plan to drive. Also, what happened to Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, Nice, Barcelona, Seville--they all seem to be enroute.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM
CharlieB

Bob- maybe different than what you or I might choose, but not necessarily strange, as they are legitimate primary destinations. I agree with Ira, that the reverse route would better but it seems their arrival might be set. Yes Melanie, there are many sight along their planned itinerary that are worth seeing. Vienna, Budapest, Salzburg, Munich, Barcelona, and Seville have already been mentioned - to these I would add Dresden (on the main rail link from Prague to Berlin and a spectacular city) Granada and Toledo in Spain, Sintra in Portugal and the Bavarian countryside.