Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berlin or Vienna with Prague and Budapest, help!

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to Central Europe next October. Definitely want to go to Budapest and Prague and with 11 nights, can't decide between Berlin or Vienna. Sounds like the routes that make most sense are Budapest, Prague, Berlin or Budapest, Vienna, Prague. Interests are art, music, history, Jewish history. Any help welcome. Also have to decide how many nights in each city. Leaning towards 4 nights in Prague, but wonder if 3 nights in either of the other cities enough. If put a 4th night in anywhere else, which city? If can't make a decision, are all 4 doable in 12 nights? thanks
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:33 AM

Last year I traveled to Vienna, Prague and Berlin. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Berlin and am so glad I went. BUT, I would definitely choose Vienna.

A magical, beautiful,vibrant city full of beautiful architecture and friendly people.

That said, you really cannot go wrong. You will have an exciting trip no matter which one you choose!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM
kja

It depends on what you want to do and experience, but I think trying to do all 4 in 12 nights would be frustrating - just not enough time to see all 4 on that schedule. You are choosing between wonderful destinations, so you shouldn't go wrong with either choice. Hope that helps!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:53 AM

To some degree your decision depends on how you get to that area. If you are purchasing a RT ticket, I would consider the Prague, Vienna, Budapest combination as more natural. It also represents a culturally more unified journey: the Imperial capital and its provincial capitals, although Hungarians would dispute the latter definition since the Austro-Hungarian empire was based on a dual monarchy.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I've been to all 4 cities several times and prefer Berlin to Vienna. The latter is fine and there's quite a bit to do - but to me it seems somewhat caught in about 1900 - while Berlin has a tremendous mix of the old (some incredibly old in the museums) to the most current. Just more interesting and exciting to me.