Search

Prague beer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague beer

Hello,

We are visiting Prague this year and i have an important question to ask: which beer do you prefer in Prague?
I'd like to try anything local, no other European beers.
Any good addresses for charming old bars?

Thanks for any replies!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I've had Budvar, it's good, though you can get it pretty much anywhere now. Czechs are fairly well known for their beers; walk into a bar that looks good and ask for a suggestion.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Krusovice
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Czech out this site: http://www.pilsner-urquell.com/

Take the tour - for $5 you get a nice walk and a lot of beer!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:56 PM

My husband and I, who are more wine and vodka drinkers, keep talking about this beer we had in Prague and for the life of us can can't remember the name...only that it was "Garnet..something"...does that ring a bell to any beer afficianodos? It was so delicious I referred it to my champagne beer experience. Guess I've got to go back.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM

We didn't have a bad beer in Prague and the prices were incredible. We had lunch at this beer hall which was very interesting (lots of locals, a German tour group, a couple of Brit stag parties, etc.):

http://www.umedvidku.cz/

As others have said, drink whatever beer appeals to you on tap. BTW, Budvar (Czeckvar in the US) and Pilsner Urquell are much better in their homeland. I also liked Krušovice. Enjoy!

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Good question and it brings back fond memories of a classic beerhall complete with accordian player leading rowdy germans, austrians and brits in traditional songs over mugs of rather light tasting dark beer (their own). It was interesting to watch the musician making certain not to offend any group as he led the merrymaking.
U Fleku Pub Restaurant & Brewery
Kremencova 11
New Town, Prague 1
Czech Republic
Another place that's been there since when--1499! Have fun. Paul
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM

1) Pilsner Urquell
2) Starobrno
3) Cerna Hora
4) Litovel
5) Budvar
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:15 AM

Risab, was it "Rebel Garnet"? And here's a picture - http://shop.store.yahoo.com/beergeek/regalabecre.html

Cheers
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:26 AM

Czech Republic has delicious beer and it is a far cry from the dish water we produce here in the UK.

Pilsner Urquell is very popular but is not brewed in Prague ,but Plzen which is about an hours drive away.

I have been to the brewery twice as I have business contacts in Plzen and it is an interesting place to visit. If you are in the area of Plzen it is well worth stopping off.

One thing you will notice as you drive around the Plzen area is the fields of hops, being grown for the brewing of the beer.

Something that will become apparent is that after several glasses of Czech beer you will get very drunk..... but despite this I have never had a hangover from Czech beer. Strange, but I put it down to the lack of rubbish and chemicals that are in UK beer but not in Cz beer.

Good luck

Muck
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:17 AM

We went to a good beer hall on Kampa Island (off Charles Bridge) with brick vaulted ceilings and cheap filling food - U Karlova Mostu (?) They served large foaming glasses of their own light and dark beer. While I like the light beers, I prefer the dark ones.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Maria, I think you have the name of the beer hall on Kampa Island right -- my husband and I were there in May -- it's a great place!

I also never had a bad beer in Prague, it's all great. I happen to really love Staropramen.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:47 AM

Googling for U Karlova Mostu, I found it is also a hotel and has been recently renovated - it looks rather nice. The beer hall we went in, is pictured bottom right, next to the garden - it was winter when we went, so we didn't sit out.

http://www.nakampe15.com/?gclid=CN_y...FSxGGgodCy-iHg
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:04 PM

If "Cerna Hora" posted by Michal is the really dark beer, than that is my favorite. I usually go to a beer garden in Stara Boleslav that serves extra dark beer. Awesome! We just call it "cerny", or black. If you can try that kind, go for it. It is not bitter. Just very bold & tasty. Yum... I want some now!!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're a bit [not very] adventurous, there's a micro-brewery in Prague 2 [just north of the botanical gardens, sorry can't remember the name but it's in all the books] where you can sample all different sorts of beer, as well as the normal light and dark, including nettle! [don't bother]. It's a restaurant as well, and the food is good and cheap. There is of course a bar on every corner, including one round the back of Hotel Central, which still has a picture of Stalin on the wall [and Havel on the other, backing both sides so to speak]. So you've loads of choice. Prague is really great - as well as the usual tourist spots, I would recommend the marrionette shows, and dinner in the basement of the town hall - a wonderful art deco extravagance.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Hello Beer Lovers,
My Czech experience was 'interesting'. Our hotel served beer with breakfast..mistake..drank beer and it was quickly replaced. Yes, lunch and dinner were the same. Almost every shop we visited had a beer tap.
Check the alcohol content. Cans and bottles usually have a % marked on them. Alcohol content starts at near zero and runs to 10%! Czech Budweiser has two strengths (maybe more) Pilsner Urquell also produces a strong liquor that you may like. It could be a good gift item.