Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possibly sending mother to Paris as a birthday gift. Help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother is in her sixties and even though her Birthday is in December I was thinking of sending her to Paris for three months next year(March-April-May) as part of her birthday gift.

She has not been to Paris since 1989. She has been there several times before and she even lived there as a student before I was born. She is fluent in French, so I figured it would be nice for her to go back.

I need some advice regarding renting an apartment in Paris for 3 months for a lady in her sixties. When my husband and I go to Paris we stay in Hotels and we do not spend enough time in the city to know all the neighborhoods and rental prices and procedures. She enjoys less touristy areas and neighborhoods with local markets and shops. She loves shopping, sitting in cafes, reading books and watching people.

I could ask my mother, but I want it to be a surprise. I want to have everything arranged for her and then tell her a couple of days before the trip where she is going and when.

If you have some info, please help.

Thanks,

Mell
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM

While I think it's really a nice gesture, I would think carefully about it being a total surprise. Maybe your mom has plans for that time, or would rather go another time? Or maybe would like some say where she is staying since it is for so long (providing she really wants to go for so long).

Maybe you could surprise her by wrapping up some hints about Paris or something, and then plan as much for her as she wants you to. Maybe she would appreciate that you are doing all the research and can offer her some good advice and choices. She would maybe enjoy planning it together with you.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Very nice gesture, however, it is probably a good idea to tell your Mother sooner than later. You don't want to spring a trip like this on her at the last minute. For example, she may have appointments scheduled that shouldn't be cancelled (e.g., doctor, tax accountant, etc.). She may also have guests coming from out of town. Besides that, your Mother might want to go out and get herself a new wardrobe for a 3 month trip. It sounds like you're going to be paying for her airfare and lodging, but what about food, sightseeing, etc. If you aren't picking up the tab for everything, does your Mother have sufficient resources to pay her bills at home (rent/mortgage/insurance) and also pay her expenses for a lengthy vacation? And, would your Mother want to be away for 3 months without family or friends nearby?

Again, I think it is admirable of you to plan such a wonderful trip for your Mother. You are a wonderful daughter, but let her know sooner than later. Surprises like this can sometimes backfire if both parties aren't prepared.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:53 PM

I would definitely tell her on her birthday in December so she'll have enough time to get ready. Maybe not in details, at least the dates. The older you get the harder it gets to handle surprises. Don't wait till "a couple of days before the trip".
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:54 PM

well, there are so many different areas of Paris and many could be fine, so it's hard to focus in on one. I do know some real French apt. rental web sites if you want to go that route (ie, you'd be renting directly from French owners), but you might start with looking at www.vbro.com which is international. Some other firms do have reduced rates for very long term rental, though. I think the one I just used this summer does (www.locaflat.com).

Some of the things you mention kind of raise red flags to me, however, even though I think this is an extremely generous idea. First, the fact that she hasn't been there in 14 years. If she loves Paris so much, I would wonder why that is. I know different personalities react differently to big surprises like this, but I would really not like someone to arrange a three month trip for me without me knowing about it, particularly if it involved renting an apt. (in an area I may not like or the apt. may have problems).

I think you should consider the fact that a very longterm apt. rental like that will be very very expensive and many apt. rentals are not refundable and you must pay the entire amount in advance.

At the very least, I suggest you rethink the idea that you will plan this elaborate and lengthy vacation and not even tell her until a couple days before.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Please adopt me. This is only part of her gift? Lucky Mom. The only apartment I have experienced was in Montparnasse, near rue Daguerre which is a market street. It was a wonderful neighborhood, but just a bit out of the heart of Paris. Everything was a metro or bus ride; once we left in the a.m., we pretty much kept going until it was time to return at the end of the day. I don't have specific recommendations (I am sure others will), but I would on any return trip prefer something closer to the Seine for an evening walk or a return during the day for a quick rest or to drop off purchases. A friend is currently staying on the Ile St. Louis and is delighted.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM

What a wonderful gift!

I've never used them, but others on here have spoken well of www.parisperfect.com apartments. Seems as though most of them are in the 7th,which is less touristy and has a sense of neighborhood. Check them out on the website and run a search here to get some first hand info about them. Have fun planning this!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Hi Mellangel,

It sounds like a wonderful, wonderful gift. There are a number of posts here on apartments that folks recommend. A search will bring them up.

Will you mother be going alone? If so, how will she feel about being isolated from friends, family, and her normal routine for 3 months?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:33 PM

This does sound like a wonderful gift. You've gotten enough advice about planning this ahead of time with her knowing about it so I'll go off on a bit different tangent.

I'd work with her about planning a class or two for being in France that long. I know Christina mentioned awhile back that she doesn't like to be somewhere for that long without having a purpose. I agree with her completely. Maybe your Mom could take a cooking or art class or the obvious French class for brushing up those rusty language skills. For 3 months, something like that would also allow her to meet other people with mutual interests and maybe not be so lonely the first few week until she can meet some people.

Another idea is to go to Lyon instead with a couple of weeks in Paris at the end. Lyon is a great city, it has better food than Paris It might more easily give her a neighborhood feel than Paris because it is a tourist Mecca. Lyon will also be more affordable than Paris. I don't know about apartments, but hotels were running me half as much in Lyon this spring as the same quality in Paris.

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time planning something really, really special. Enjoy it and try to squeeze in a couple of weeks to fly over and be with her.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:34 PM

If it was a week long trip, then a surprise would be ok.

But my goodness, for a 3 month trip, I would want PLENTY of notice!! Wayyyyy too many things to take care of before a trip of that length.

Hope your mom has a wonderful time!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:39 PM

I gave my Mother a similar gift when she turned 60. She didn't speak a word of French and I went with her. Avoid using a rental company named PSR and make sure you research safety issues carefully.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Wow! What a great gift. I would be thrilled to get that. I spent a month in Paris (May 2001) and want to go back. I rented on my own altho' I had visitors for 2 of the weeks. If your Mom can afford to take additional trips around France with overnight stays I'd say it's a terrific idea. 3 months might be a tad long on your own unless you can get out of town. I rented a studio from rentparis.com in the 7th and it was a perfect location, especially being alone. The advantage of May was it was light until 9:30 at night. I am in your Mom's age group and thought Paris was a perfect city for wandering around and very safe. If you have any questions re my stay, please e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:13 PM

Mellangel, I agree that it is a great gift and would love to receive it myself. However, to book an apt for three months in Paris without her input may be a recipe for disaster. If you know that she can get away for that time and would like to go, I suggest contacting the company that I use when I go to Paris. Check out www.aparisianhome.com and find some apts that are in your price range. Your mother may have an idea of where she would like to stay so I suggest that you make a list of several availabilities and let her select the one that appeals to her. I know that you want it to be a surprise but it could end up being a costly surprise for you.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, these are wonderful responses.

I agree with you guys maybe a couple of days is not enough to tell her that she will be spending three months in Paris, but I wanted to have everything ready for her so she does not have to deal with the booking and just enjoy herself. I was so much into the idea that I forgot she might have to take care of some things at home before leaving.

FainaAgain: I think I will tell her in December on her birthday so that she can take care of everything at home.

IndyTravel: Taking a class is a wonderful idea. She loves art and books, so that would be great for her. Since I would tell her about the trip in December, I think she would have fun researching and planning what classes she can take.

My mother is very independent and she would have no problem being away from home, family and friends for three months. She loves changing environments. She likes to break away from the monotony and then come back home refreshed. She spent a month traveling alone in Chile four years ago. Besides my husband and I will be able to take some time off for one or two weeks during those months and we are planning to visit her there.

Christina: I do not know why she has not been back to Paris for so long. She has recently been to Madrid and Rome a few times. I think she just did not have the opportunity. That is why I think it is a good place for her to go back since she has not been there recently.

I am writing down all the websites. My mom is pretty easy going and she would not have a problem if I book the plane tickets and the apartment as long as it is centrally located, safe, and in a neighborhood with plenty of cafes, markets and activity. She does not really enjoy the logistics of planning and booking places to stay and plane tickets. When we travel with her, I do all the planning and she just enjoys the ride (my husband does not like planning either, he goes along for the ride as well).

How long in advance do you think I should book the apartment? I heard it is hard to find apartments for rent in the spring. Do they take credit cards?

Nancy: where was the apartment located? I will be emailing you for more info since you spent a month there

Thanks all

I will be posting more questions as I do more research.

Mell
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:53 PM

You won't have any problem finding an apartment. You may actually secure a great deal because tourism is down in France. Considering the amount of time you wish to rent, I'd insist on a deal.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:59 PM

A couple of days' advance notice for a surprise trip of 3 months? WHOOAA! If I were your mother I'd whop you! How could anyone pack or plan for that? Actually, if I were your mother I'd manage to get it together, but that's only because I've made a gazillion trips to France in the past 25 years.

Realistically, you need to tell your mother about this around February at the latest.

And I'd make sure a three-MONTH stay in Paris would be to your mom's liking. It would suit me fine, but that's a long time, generally speaking, for a trip. Will she get out of Paris? Are there friends of hers there? How will she spend her time? Will she take day trips? Have you thought about how she will actually spend this fairly lengthy period of time? Don't get me wrong - three months in Paris sounds like bliss to me, but will your mother be able to use it wisely?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM

St Cirq, I read her b'day is December but the trip would be Mar/Apr/May 2004. There's time to pull this together.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:51 PM

Oh, sorry, I re-read her last line. StCirq, you're absolutely right. Mellangel, give your mother her plane tkts on her b'day.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Any idea how much this trip would cost? I am in the minority here, but I would rather have the cash and use it MY WAY, my choice.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Mellangel, someone pointed out to me when I was planning to give a trip as a surprise gift that much of the joy of traveling is in anticipating the trip. I would definitely agree with those who suggest giving her the tickets on her birthday....gives her 3 months to plan details and look forward to the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -