Possible Week Trip to Europe in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of cashing in some miles that I have on Delta and travelling to Europe for a week long trip mid-January. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of the best places to go. I was thinking of flying to London for 8 days, and taking Eurostar to Paris for 3 days in the middle (unfortunatley Delta does not fly to Paris directly during the winter). Or would perhaps Spain would be better? Or someplace else, like Berlin, Rome, or Amsterdam? I want to limit the expense of the trip as well, meaning places where decent hotels can be found for under $125 a night.

My concern is not so much the weather.....I am coming from NYC, so it is already cold here, but if there will be plenty to see and do in January.

Any comments are greatly welcome.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Delta does fly Newark to Paris non-stop -- but maybe there are no FF seats available on those flights. I say fly on to Paris the first day even if you have to change planes. The first day is kind of wasted anyway what with jetlag; use it to get to your furthest point.

Whereas a second Eurostar trip will take up more useful time.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM

If you go the London/Paris route, I was thinking along the same lines as Mimar - the Eurostar is pretty convenient, but all the same, to me it would be worth a little more inconvenience at one end in order to save time and effort backtracking between cities. If the FF scenario means that flying to or from Paris presents a huge barrier, though, what you propose is certainly doable.

As far as the "best places to go" - no one can really answer that for you, unfortunately. London is one of my favorite cities on the planet, but Paris, not so much. Other people feel completely the opposite. You really need to do a little reading up on the cities you're considering and decide which one or two *you* want to prioritize. If you are interested in a little midwinter warmth, obviously Spain or southern Italy will be warmer than London or Paris, but I think most major European cities will have things to do in January.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM

I'm confused - you say this is a week-long trip, yet you have 8 days in London and 3 days in Paris "in the middle". That's 11 days, so what exactly is the week-long segment?
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Mimar - The Newark route won't work as to use my miles it has to be on a Delta flight. Delta has codeshare with AirFrance, from Newark but it is an Air France flight so the miles can not be used. They do fly to Paris, via Atlanta, but that is a little too long of a trip.

Jent - thats for the advice. If I do the London/Paris trip, you might be right about flying on to Paris the first day. It might be more money, but worth the less aggrevation of traveling between the two in the middle of the trip.

Hazel - I meant the entire trip would be 8 days, with a 3 day Paris trip included. I was thinking of flyinh to London, staying for 2 days, then 3 days in Paris, than back to London for 3 days.

A Madrid and Barcelona trip might also be a way for me to go, but that might be more expensive.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Perhaps go to fabulous Sevilla in the south of Spain? Great atmosphere, food and sights. Vueling takes you from London to Sevilla for some 50€.
http://www.vueling.com/

About Sevilla, the capital of Andalucía: http://www.exploreseville.com/

One of Spain's absolute best tapas scenes. Some excellent suggestions on this site: http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletapas/
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:20 AM

This late I suspect that Delta holds all the cards--I would ask them.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM

I've used Delta miles on Air France many, many times.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi wep,

personally, I dislike splitting up my time in the same place on a trip, so i would fly immediately to Paris when i arrived, stay 4 nights, then get the eurostar back to London and finish my trip.