Search

If u had just 7 dd (not includ. travel days) would u go 2 Paris AND London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If u had just 7 dd (not includ. travel days) would u go 2 Paris AND London

Hello.
I really want to take my 12-year-old daughter to Paris and/or London and am sick of putting off the trip until the "right time". I want to go ahead and plan it and book it!
I have been to France, Italy and SUI only once before, nearly 20 years ago.
I can read French but don't speak it well at all.

Could I reasonably expect to take a one-week trip (Spring Break) w/ my 'tween and get a feel for both cities or should I pick just one? The real problem is, I would pick Paris and I'm afraid she would pick London.

My daughter is a history buff (Marie Antoinette in particular), has read just about every book on Diana, Princess of Wales, is something of a "Royal watcher" and would LOVE to visit Versailles. She also loves bread & chocolate
As for me, I would like to see London (finally) and also take my daughter to the Louvre, the top of the Eiffel Tower, to Notre Dame, Ste Chapelle, etc. and just soak up European atmosphere....

We would be going late March to early April. Flying home the day before Easter. I would sincerely appreciate any and all feedback.

Budget won't be too much of an issue.
Thank you!
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM

sure, I don't see any reason you can't do the two cities in one week. Just don't count on a lot of outside-the-city side day trips, that's all. The train doesn't take that long between them, I think she'd find that exciting, I would.

But if she really would love to see Versailles, at least it's close and easy to get to from Paris. The cities will probably be very crowded during that easter vacation time, though.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Yes, you can easily do both. You'd want to book Eurostar in advance for significantly discounted fares.

If you do go to Chateau Versailles, be sure to visit the Conciergerie afterward. The contrast - Marie Antoinette's "boudoir" and "gardens" - quite daunting.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM

You can get a quick oveview of 2 cities in one week - and if you think you will prefer diferent ones that may be the way to go. For me - I would do one city with a couple of day trips if I had never been before (or not in 20 years).
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You could do both. If that is what you want then I'd probably do it this way:

Fly to London spend 4 days (it really is easier to think in terms of "nights")

Late the 4th evening or very early the 5th day, I'd take the Eurostar train to Paris for the rest of your time. Then Fly home from Paris w/o backtracking to London.

The reasons I'd do it this way are

1) Arrival day is often a jet lagged fog and it is really more just for acclimating/getting some fresh air. So you can't really count it as a full day.

2) London is HUGE and the sites are spread over a wider area than in Paris. You can see just about as much of Paris in 3 days as you can of London in 4.

3) Flying out of Paris is cheaper than flying out of London since UK departure fees/taxes are much higher.

Of course, staying all 7 days in either city would be fantastic. But if you really WANT to visit both, you can.

There are a lot of Paris lovers on here (me included) and many will advise more time in Paris -- but I just think for transport reasons/practicality, London requires a bit more time.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM

It comes down to personal preference or travel style. Like others have said, splitting a week between London and Paris is not unreasonable. I'm like nytraveler though- I'd prefer to stick to one city and I'd rent an apartment. Tough choice as to which city- you can't go wrong either way.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM

I would stick to Paris but before you went I would get some great books on the history of the 100 years war between France and England and or something about Napoleon. This is me though and I am just home from France and would pick France over England any day of the week.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM

It can be done...land in London on a Saturday morning...spend 2-3 days, then take late TGV to Paris, fly out of there. But no denying it would be easier to just do Paris.

I can help a bit with the Marie A stuff, I'm a bit of a fan of the period myself.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Did a London/ Paris trip last year with friend new to traveling. I regretted having to leave France not so much because London wasn't great but I loved Paris once again. I would stay the entire time in Paris with day trips to Versailles and Fontainebleau but beforehand I'd take the time to learn about the French Revolution and Napolean so the sights take on a greater meaning.Nothing compares to the Eiffel Tower at night and Monmarte was a very cool area.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Your daughter is 12, ask her to help plan some of your trip. Tell her that she needs to put together ideas for an itinerary so that it can be her trip too. That'll make it more exciting for her and she gets to pick if she wants to really soak in one city or split your time between the two. Just remember (and maybe remind her) that as the adult you get full veto power.

My opinion would be to see both on her first trip.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I appreciate ALL the great advice.
My trip feels "real" now!
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I'd say it depends on how thorough you want to be here. As many have said above, it's do-able.

I spent a little over a week the time I went to London, and have been to Paris twice totaling almost two weeks time. It took me that long before I got to see most of what I wanted to experience in both cities. But a half-week in each is certainly a good start.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM

As others have pointed out, seeing both cities in 7 days is definitely possible. You need to keep in mind though that you'll be making an abbreviated trip in both places. Janis makes a good point that it may make more sense to spend an extra day in London, simply because of geography.

Also, don't discount the effects of jet lag. You will need to factor in some "catch-up" sleep time, especially for your daughter. As a high school teacher I can attest to the fact that cranky teenagers might not make the best travel partners!