(Possible) trip to Zurich for Business

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Ok, I know the rules, research and then ask questions. But I thought it worth a try. We may have an opportunity to go to Zurich to visit a factory. Just wondering on suggestions of a desirable route to get there from Australia? And should we just make Zurich a 'stop over' and have somewhere else as our main destination.

We actually had 6 weeks travelling at xmas...3 weeks nrth America and 3 weeks, London, Paris & Rome. So I imagine we would be away 2 weeks max. And it looks like it will be by the end of the year, so time suggestions also appreciated.
Love to get your feedback.
Thanks as always,
AD
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM

just returned from Switz and stayed in the Berner Oberland (3 hours by train from Zurich and absolutely gorgeous), if you stay in Zurich, stay near the train station there are lots of great outdoor cafes about a block or two away and nice older hotels....for the Berner, we stayed in Grindelwald at the Gletschergarten....it was old school swiss and very nice, Gary the innkeeper is a pleasure, and it is walking distance to everything. Another nice spot that is a short train ride from Zurich are the lakes around Interlaken...they are tropical blue and surrounded by mountains...Thun and Spiez areas...
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM

if you can swing it, stay at Baur au Lac in zurich, alsolutely fabulous hotel.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. It looks like it may be as soon as the end of October. So I will check out your suggestions.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM

As far as desireable routes. . . the Swiss International Airlines has direct flights to Zürich from Mumbai (India). So depending where you are in Australia, that might be a pretty direct route.

Once you are in Zürich and finished with the business, all of Switzerland is very accessible. You might consider the Engadine area as a place to go in October---Haven't been there myself but I believe they are known for good fall weather.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM

I used to live in Zurich. If you can, I would try to either go in late September or aim for a trip in early December if you want to go up into mountain areas. Late October and all of November area not a great time to go to the mountain areas, as it is not yet winter and not really fall any more. (Switzerland does not have much of that in my experience in living there, not a lot of turning trees, nothing like you get in the US for example). It tends to be quite rainy and foggy in the mountains at that time. Moreover, many hotels in mountain villages tend to close from early October until mid-December, which gives you an indication of the fact that this is not a popular time to ravel there. Take a look at various websites to see dates for closures. You may also find some cable cars and mountain trains closed for repairs, which means you may not be able to get up to some of the better viewing areas. You would have to time this quite carefully in your travel time would be late October or November.

If you want to stay in the lower land areas and see Zurich just as a stop over for a few days, then late October to November is OK, still you will have some rain versus snow, and it could also be cold, but for seeing the old town and museums and shopping and restaurants that is no problem.

In late September the mountain areas would be great, lots of walking and hiking, and you may still find ferries running on lakes. Zurich would be very lovely then too, outdoor cafes would still be open.

If you can come into December, if you go up into the mountain areas you will have a very good chance of having snow, which is beautiful. Hotels would be open, you could do some walking, maybe even get in some skiing, days should be clear of fog. Also the city of Zurich is so beautiful at Christmas, there is a tree on virtually every square (and there are many squares) and the streets are hung with lights. Many decorations go up the last day of November. There are Christmas markets, although if you have a trip to Europe, you might consider going to some of the more elaborate ones in Vienna, or in Germany or France, although you could drive to some of the markets in France from Zurich in about an hour or a bit more. London is really OTT at Christmas as well. As long as you are dressed for it, December is a great time of year in Europe, IMO.

In terms of an itinerary, I would do Switzerland either first (if you can go in September) and then Rome, Paris and London in late October and November as weather there is not as important (i.e. you are going to the mountains) and weather in Rome is much more mild in general, you can get warm almost hot and sunny days (although you it also be rainy and cool as well). Or do Switzerland last and see the snow.

I can recco several hotels. Bar au Lac as reccod above is very good, albeit probably the most expensive in town (it is relative, its a pricey town) there are many others. I personally would not stay near the train station but would stay in the charming old town area, take a look at the Kindli at kindli.ch for a start.

Take a look at weatherbase.com for historical info on temps and rainfall in the places you are considering.