Train to Lausanne Sunday May 13
3 nights Lausanne
Train to Luzern Wednesday May 16
1 night Luzern
Train to Zurich Thursday May 17
2 nights in Zurich
Return to London Saturday for last night before returning to TPA
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM

Looks kind of hectic to me. What do you want to see & what do you enjoy doing, and this might help others give you some advice. You are going to London to fly back to Tampa?
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:28 AM

Why are you going to Zurich?

Is there something there you specifically want to see?

Zurich is a pleasant, clean city, but it is boring for tourists in my opinion.

If I were you, I would stay in Luzern for all three nights. You can take the train from Luzern directly to Zurich Flughafen. It takes a little more than an hour.

Whilst staying in Luzern, you could take a day trip into Zurich if you wanted to see something like the Chagall Windows at the Fraumunster, for example. The train trip from Luzern into Zurich takes about 50 minutes.

Be prepared for sticker shock in Zurich. The prices there would give Ivana Trump the shivers.

Tschuss,
Pippy
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM

Without knowing what your interests are, I have to say I agree with Pippy. I spent three nights in Zurich a few weeks ago, and while it is a lovely city, it is a bit on the dull side. We easily saw what we wanted to in less than a day. The highlight of our stay there was a boat ride on Lake Zurich to the pretty town of Rapperswil for lunch. If you do choose to stay in Zurich for two days and the weather is nice, you might consider that. I did a trip report if you're interested, just click on my name.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 08:09 AM

So you're going to rent a car just to drive from Nice to Lyon? Why?

I personally kind of liked Zurich. But you can stay on in Lucerne and take the train direct to Zurich's airport. It's only about an hour, and I'd trust the train in Switzerland to get me to the airport on time. (Unlike Italy.) There's more to do and see from Lucerne than from/in Zurich.

Also, as an alternative to Lausanne, have you looked at Montreux or Vevey? Or do you prefer big cities? They're sort of not the point in Switzerland.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Nice does seem far and we have been there before. I think we will fly into Marseille instead and stay in Avignon for 3 nights to tour Provence, then off to Lyon for two nights. Make sense?
We want to stay in Lausanne and we do prefer big cities and then take day trips.As for Zurich, we have some family in Basel and feel that it would be easier to get there.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM

If you look at the train schedule,

Basel-Zurich, about 60min, 3-4/hr
Basel-Luzern, about 70min, 3/hr
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM

Well, if you take the 9:54 AM train from Luzern, you would be in Basel at 10:55 AM. That's 1:01 travel time.

But, if you want to visit your family, why not just stay in Basel and do Bern, or Luzern, or Zurich as day trips?

Tschuss,
Pippy
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:14 AM

If you take the Saturday 7:40 AM train from Basel you will arrive at Zurich Flughafen at 8:56 AM.

Pip
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM

for train travel in Switzerland you may want to investigate the Swiss Pass, Half-Card, Swiss Card, etc. as you are doing enough travel to make one or more of these pay off and passes also give you discounts off mountain chairlifts, gondolas, etc.

anyway sources of great info on Swiss trains, passes, etc. - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.