Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possible Ireland trip in September. Special needs and questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking about going to Ireland in Sept. and I have been reading the messages here and getting lots of information. We're thinking about a Fly and drive independent trip, but we have some concerns and I'm wondering whether you can tell me places we *shouldn't* go to. Here are the issues:

1. My husband is 69 and diabetic Type II, on insulin. We're concerned about whether he'll be able to keep his insulin refrigerated. He's extremely active for his age, working in the yard 2 or 3 hours in the spring and summer, so we don't worry about it being too strenuous. I will be 58 in Sept. and will probably be spending it in Ireland if we pull this trip off.

2. I have a terrible fear of heights and have started having problems the past year of anxiety attacks even going over bridges and overpasses, so I'm not going to be the kind of person standing on cliffs or going down narrow mountain roads. This is a BIG issue for me.

3. Driving on the left side--some concern here, and we'd also like an automatic car.

Having said that, we're considering the southwestern area in Ireland. We have never been there. We don't want to be packing up and going to another place to stay every night. We don't like crowds. We do like beautiful vistas, historical and archeological sites, fine food as well as pub food (which we had when we were in London some years ago). We don't take many "big" trips, so we want to do it right.

We live in New Jersey, USA. We like classical music, folk music, light jazz. We also like museums, the performing arts, painting and sculptures. We are interested in the cultures of different people. On our vacations, we don't like to feel rushed or as if we have a definite schedule all mapped out. We'd like to do mostly B&B's and perhaps our last night in a castle, and do one of the mediaeval feasts I've read about here.

We're wondering if we should do Dublin at all? We're thinking about flying in to Shannon, so we might want to spend our first night close by. What I do know is that I definitely want to see the Dingle Peninsula, and we figured we'd like to spend at least 2 days (if not 3) in that area. Not particularly interested in kissing the blarney stone (or trekking up 127 steps to do so). I want to see some charming villages and experience some traditional irish music and food. I will be waiting breathlessly for your wonderful insights here. Should we do this trip? Someone I work with did the trip in 1997 and said it was the most relaxing and beautiful vacations she ever took. Oh, one more question. Where is the best place to look for good deals for a Fly/Drive vacation?

Thanks,
Barbara
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:47 AM

I can only address some of your questions. In terms of your husband's insulin, it will depend on where you stay in terms of available refrigeration. But I would count on a cooler with ice if you're traveling about. Plan on including larger towns so you can keep it stocked. If you love beautiful vistas, Ireland has plenty. BUT, some of the roads are very close to the edge of some high spots and I'm concerned about your fear of heights. Several places we visited did not have rails along the roads. Maybe other posters can tell you places to avoid. Definitely do not go to the Cliffs of Moher. Having said all that, you will find plenty of places to go. Killarney comes to mind with its lake views. Good luck.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:13 AM
cd

Barbara
Dublin is crowded. Shannon would be a good place for you to fly into. Dromoland,http://dromoland.ie/, is a wonderful castle close to Shannon airport. Doolin is a small coastal town just a few hours from Dromoland known for their music and the pub food is good. From there you could go down to the Dingle Peninsula (my favorite for scenery) For your husbands insulin you could purchase the hard sided igloo and the coolant that you put in the frige and freeze. I would think this would keep it during the day and at night the B&B's you stay in would permit you to refreeze. Perhaps your doctor would give you some medication for your anxiety as I would hate for you to miss the beauty of the Clifs of Moher (about 15 min from Doolin) and you can decide how far away you want to be as you walk up the hill. Definitly upgrade to an automatic car and have full coverage insurance. We used Brian Moore International Tours fly/drive but there are others. You can view the B&B's at http://www.townandcountry.ie/ You go girl and have fun!!
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Barbara,

1) I think the B&B approach that cd recommended is a good one as is the idea of keeping a cooler stocked for your husband's insulin. I know you prefer not to be too scheduled, but you may want to consider trying to book with the B&B's directly and ask about the use of their fridge overnight. I'm sure that recommended B&B's you might find here on this message board would be accommodating if the owners were described as pleasant by others. Also, if your fly and drive involves vouchers, the direct approach would also be good so that you can verify that they accept vouchers.

2) This one is a bit tough as some of the most scenic areas do have narrow roads that run along the edge of slopes. Not exactly mountains like you'd think of the Rockies or the Alps though. The coastal roads, including Dingle, can sometimes skirt the edge just a bit. This, of course, is part of what makes the views so incredible. I'm sure you've seen various pictures as part of what draws you to Ireland in the first place but I have some shots at
http://www.nexxtworld.com/travel/ireland
where some shots of the road and their position to the elevation below can be seen. I think the worst of it is probably this shot:
http://www.nexxtworld.com/travel/ire...y_beara07.html
which also happens to be the best view I can recall!

Areas where you can enjoy a more rolling, less height oriented view of Ireland - that can still be found on a great itinerary of the south and west - would be Kilkenny, Cashel, Cahir, Connemara, the Waterford Coast, Cobh, Kinsale, Lismore, most of the Cork coast that's not on the penninsulas.

3) The automatic is a good idea and although it depends on the rental company, we've never found reserving and getting an automatic to be a problem. Automatics do cost more.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 09:25 AM

I'm going to Ireland in August so since I haven't been yet I'll let others answer your Ireland questions, but regarding your husband's insulin - I'm a nurse and work in two hospitals, one of which doesn't refridgerate insulin any longer. The newest studies say you can safely store insulin unrefridgerated for up to 30 days.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Shannon is a good starting point. Dromoland Castle hotel is close by 4 miles from the airport and would provide a very relaxing first night. Then use the multitude of B+Bs. The Burren and Cliffs of Mohar are well worth a visit. Galway has many good pubs with traditional music. Cant advise you about the insulin.

Try the medieval banquet at Bunratty Castle near Shannon great fun.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 01:48 AM

Barbara-you've gotten some sound advice so far....when you go to Dingle do not go by way of Conor Pass-its anabsolutely gorgeous drive but the road is very narrow. Instead go from Tralee to Camp and from Camp to Anascaul then on to Dingle-avoiding Connor Pass.

Also, check out www.irelandexpert.com
Pat Preston runs that site and has a question/answer area that is also great for advice...
Hope this helps,
Shadow
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your information. Clifton, I viewed every one of your photos and they are the most beautiful I've ever seen. Many of them looked like watercolors. The roads did look daunting, I must admit.

The information about how long insulin can stay unrefrigerated was very helpful.

Well, I'm off to read some more and start making a list of where we should visit. Thank you all again.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Hi Barbara.
We were in Ireland recently and rented a small apartment. This would help with the problem of ice and refrigeration. In the off season, you may not need to rent for a full week. As in May, we were in Kenmare for only three nights.
I do not think you should miss the Cliffs of Moher. First of all, you do not need to go anywhere near the edge of the cliffs. You can stay in the parking lot and your husband could walk up as far as he wanted.
You will probably want to stay away from the Conor Pass on the Dingle Peninsula. That is not to say you could not enjoy driving the rest of it.
I think you could also do the Healy Pass on the Beara because the road was narrow and climbed steadily, but my memory says there were not any hang over the cliff parts. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
My husband ran ot of his blood pressure pills, and he had them replaced at a local pharmacy in Galway. He didn't even have the origanal prescription bottle, just the name and dosage.
SKip Dublin unless you want a marathon. Stay around the SW and enjoy.