Positano vs Sorrento

Search

Positano vs Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano vs Sorrento

Which is a better honeymoon destination--Sorrento or Positano? We plan to stay 3-4 days and just want to relax by pool and beach and maybe do a little sightseeing.
Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:27 AM

No contest--Positano !
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:54 PM

Sorreno is a better choice for day trips but Positano is more honeymoonish - as long as all you want to do is relax and wander the town.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM

You can do day trips from Positano as well. You can take a boat to Capri and bus to Sorrento. It is very easy and you get all the advantages of staying in the very romantic village.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:01 PM

Another vote for Positano for a honeymoon.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. We were leaning towards Positano as well so you have helped me to feel more confident in our original feeling.
Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM

Good evening, amrach Have to also stte Sorrento would be a better choice, 1. Think you get a better view
of the Bay of Naples and etc, rather than just water. It has some veryu nice hotels located such as the Bellevue Syrene with bay facing Rooms.
2. You can take the bus to tour the whole of the Amalfi drive and return
to any of the small towns enroute at a later dayu should you wish. 3. You can take the Circumvesuvia back to visit Pompeii or Naples. 4. take the board over to Capri for the day or maybe even spend a night..
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:38 PM

Definitely Positano!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I have been researching prices of the hotels we liked in Positano and they are much higher than in Sorrento. The hotels in Sorrento from pictures look much nicer than the ones we are looking at in Positano (pools, nicer rooms, etc.) What is the draw of Positano over Sorrento? Thanks again!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:06 AM

Look at your map--Positano is actually on the Amalfi coast--Sorrento is not.
But, Positano is vertical--Sorrento is rather flat and a much larger and more commercial town. There are a dozen good hotels in Positano--what is your price range?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:29 AM

Sorrento-beautiful, convenience.
Positano- stunning, magical!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

We were looking at the Poseidon and Covo in Positano but they are both looking like they are going to be about $400/night in July. We want something with a pool as well. I guess maybe this is typical of the Amalfi coast resorts in summer?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:16 PM

Positano is much smaller and perfect for honeymooners - Sorrento is equally nice, but lacks that "secluded" or private feeling you might get in Positano. I like both places, and slightly prefer Sorrento over Positano, but am sure you will love your stay in Positano.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:19 PM
ira

Hi amrach

Have you considered Ischia? It is a resort island.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:26 PM

Hi amrach,

I think $400/night is pretty typical for July at many hotels in Positano and Capri. The Poseidon is one of my favorite hotels ( excellent service, views, food) but it has a ridiculously small pool.

Regarding the SOrrento vs Positano debate- there's simply no comparison. Sorrento's a midsized city. It caters to Americans and Brits,(lots of tour groups) and has a less Italian flavor than Positano. However, there's no doubt that it's a much more convenient transportation hub, and offers hotels in a wider price range than Positano. This really comes down to your preferences-- and budget!

Good luck, and congratulations!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM

Look at Buca di Bacco--on the water and still a 4 star but should be less.
My favorite is Palazzo Murat, but it too may be expensive.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We really want a hotel with a pool as well. I got the rates for the Poseidon and they were comparable to Covo's. Does Sorrento have a beach like Positano or is it more of a bay area?

Ira--I have looked at Ischia as well and it does look like a great place to visit. My only concern is that it may be more difficult or take more time to get there than Positano. Is this true?
Thanks again!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:08 AM

My choice would always be Sorrento. A previous poster said Sorrento was flat and Positano was vertical. Lest you arrive and are shocked to find out there are some serious hills in Sorrento, it's all relative. I stay at the Aminta which is a real climb from the docks!

To me Positano feels like a place that is now just there for tourists. Sorrento is a real Italian town where real Italians live and work (in industries not simply related to tourism)

If I were choosing a honeymoon destination for total cocdooning and romance and
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:08 AM

My choice would always be Sorrento. A previous poster said Sorrento was flat and Positano was vertical. Lest you arrive and are shocked to find out there are some serious hills in Sorrento, it's all relative. I stay at the Aminta which is a real climb from the docks!

To me Positano feels like a place that is now just there for tourists. Sorrento is a real Italian town where real Italians live and work (in industries not simply related to tourism).

If I were choosing a honeymoon destination for total cocooning and romance and privacy, I'd probably choose Ravello.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:18 AM

As with most of the other posts -

Positano! Beautiful with stunning views. Stayed last year at Le Sirenuse - great.
Staying in June at Hotel Villa Franca, looks very nice with a pool on the rooftop with 360 degree views!

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -