Positano ferry trip question

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano ferry trip question

My husband and I will be in Positano next month and I was thinking it might be nice to take a boat trip along the coast one afternoon. I've found a full-day trip, but nothing that is just a few hours. On the day I was planning to do this, we have lunch reservations at La Tagliata at 1pm, so I was looking for something afterward.

Thanks to another post on this board, I saw the TravelMar schedule that shows a ferry leaving Positano at 3:30 heading to Salerno. It is a 70 min ride, so I thought we could then take the 5:15 ferry back. That would give us a couple of hours out on the water.

Of course, all of this depends on us finishing lunch and getting back in time for the 3:30 ferry, but other than that, does this look like a reasonable plan?

We will have other days when we are visiting Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi, etc., so this day is just for getting a nice view of the coast and taking some pictures.

Are there any other options that I'm missing? I don't want to spend a fortune on a private boat tour.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM

If you opt for this plan, you might consider going to Vietri Sul Mare, which is right next to Salerno. It would most likely mean taking the bus back, however.

http://www.italytraveller.com/en/r/a...tri-sul-mare-3

That said, I'm fairly certain I would not be in the mood for a boat ride on top of a long lunch in Campania.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about Vietri. Also, I hadn't quite thought of the possible repercussions from taking a boat ride after a big lunch. Good point!

I may save that boat ride for another day...
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM

I agree about the boat ride after lunch, but here is the site I would check--it may be too late in the season.
www.gennaroesalvatore.it
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM
ira

Hi S,

Take the SITA bus to Salerno via Amalfi.

You will get a nice view of the water from the cliffs.

Take the 5:30 ferry back.

You could also stop at Amalfi, and take the ferry back from there.

The ferries also go to Sorrento.

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ira. That is a good suggestion. I'm now thinking I may do something like that in the morning before we have a big lunch, rather than afterward.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM

We had dinner at La Tagliata in June; I think your new idea to cruise the coast on another day is a good one, or to go earlier in the morning pre-lunch. If lunch is anything like dinner, which took hours and included a great deal of wine, you probably will not feel like a leisurely boat trip afterwards.

Bob's suggestion to check out Gennaro Salvatore's boat trips is a good one. We used him for a day trip to Capri, and I know he has one that goes along the coast (which included lunch). He was excellent.