Positano- 7 days too long?

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Positano- 7 days too long?

It seems that Positano is in easy reach to other areas along the coast, and offers great hiking in addition to its other 'delights'.

My husband and I plan on staying there for one week this summer (before heading to Croatia for another week or so.)

Is one week in Positano too long?

Should we plan on spending 2 of those days on another part of the coast?

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

-Donna
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM

It's difficult to say, but if you plan to use Positano as a base from which to explore other areas, then a week isn't too long. It all depends on whether you like to move to new accommodations frequently, or stay in one place for a while. Personally, I enjoy visiting Positano but usually have had enough of it in 2 to 3 days.

You could certainly find other spots along the coast that would be interesting to visit. Maybe you would like to break up your visit into two spots, one along the coast around Portofino or the CT, and the other in Positano.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Wayne!

I am going to look into breaking it up. We are usually very mobile- and we will probably use our backpacks in lieu of suitcases to get around easier.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
ira

Hi N,

During your week in Positano you could visit:

Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii, Amalfi and Ravello, and Paestum, which gives you only 3 days in Positano.

If you get really bored, you could visit Naples and Vesuvio.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM

What Ira said.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Ira,

Thank you! I had planned on doing trips to all the places you listed as well as a day hike or two in/near Positano. Staying in one place will give us the advantage of saving money on accommodations/food b/c we would have an apartment. (We have a potential place for 700 Euro for the week which I think is very reasonable.)

I have another question though: if we base ourselves in Positano and see Sorrento, Ravello, Amalfi, Capri, etc. , will we need a car or will we be able to get around with ferries and buses from Positano?

Again- thank you very much for your help!

-Donna