Portugal trip - in search of coastal charm/historic interest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2016, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I want to visit Portugal at the end of May-early June for a week. We'd like to spend two days in Lisbon and then are looking for a few more days in coastal location - somewhere with charm as opposed to an overdeveloped tourist trap. Alternatively, if a coastal location isn't recommended, perhaps an inland location with historic charm please. Any recommendations gratefully received as this is our first visit to Portugal. Just to be difficult, while we aren't fans of overdeveloped tourist traps, we do enjoy nice restaurants.
Thank you,
Lisa and Grant
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 04:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Faro centre is pretty good with some nice trad restaurants down by the main (western) station, lots of sitting on long benches

Tavira has roman bridges and some good restaurants in the little harbour there with very little development. The Altenejo has managed to stay relatively free of golf courses and has some good walking/bird watching/oak tramping.

The region in the far west of the Algarve is under developed with a couple of national parks down there with no development beyond the odd wind farm.

There are the old university towns, while Porto is pretty dusty and down at heel in places.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
Lisa
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a very short stay in Lisbon, you really need longer there, especially if you spend a day visiting Sintra and perhaps Estoril or Cascais. You also need to visit Belem while you're in Lisbon. (Click on my name for my Lisbon TR.)

I have never bothered with the beach in Portugal, but the Atlantic coast should be less touristy than the southern. Inland you could visit Obidos, Evora and/or Coimbra.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 08:10 AM

My wife and myself are also going to Portugal in late May for 2 weeks. We are flying into Lisbon and then driving to the coastal town of Foz Do Arelho (1 hour drive )this area is named the Silver Coast and has miles of coastline and beaches. Foz is also home to a famous lagoon that is sheltered from the sea and is great for swimming. We plan on day trips to the towns of Nazare ("one of Portugal's most picturesque villages") a beautiful old fishing village, Obidos, a medieval walled town with a castle, and the small island of Berlengas with beautiful beaches and ocean caves (1 hour boat ride from the village of Peniche (1 hour drive from Foz).

After 6 nights in Foz it's off to the coastal town of Ericeira with again, beautiful beaches (some call it the best surfing area in Europe). Ericeira is an hour south of Foz. We plan on 5 nights in Ericeira with day trips to Sintra (30 minutes)and Cabo da Roca (50 minutes)the most Western point of Europe. You will not find any overdeveloped tourist traps in these areas, just great beaches, ocean side villages, and lots of local restaurants and cafes.

From Ericeira it is an easy 45 minute drive to Lisbon, where we conclude our holiday with 3 nights in the Alfama neighborhood of Lisbon.

Although the Algarve area and it's beaches are very beautiful, it is a 3 hour drive which might be too much if you are flying in and out of Lisbon.

Mike