Search

Portugal train: booking online? Pls. help

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2023, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal train: booking online? Pls. help

Hello,
We're travelling Lisbon to Porto and back in June, and hoping to take the Alfa Pendular high-speed train. Would it be fine to book tickets at the train station about two days in advance? Is there a risk that tickets will be sold out? Or is it better to book online?
When trying to book on cp.pt, it asks for us to enter passport info which we're not comfortable doing. It's the first train site that has asked for that kind of private info. Our flights didn't ask for that info.
Is there a way to bypass entering that info online, or is it better for us to book in person at the station.
Thank you for all your help.
Amy
Old May 22nd, 2023, 06:20 PM

I have the same concerns and quite honestly there's absolutely no need for the train company to request such private information.
Given the concerns regarding identity theft
I don't understand why they ask for such info ( a bus company in Cascais also asked me for private ID info to access their app).

We bought our tickets in person at the train station and no personal info was asked.
We travelled in the winter and were flexible with our travel dates.
If you have limited time and fixed dates you may be taking a chance, your call.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 06:26 PM

We just got back from Portugal. I was surprised with having to give our passport information reserving each hotel and train tix.
Sorry I’m not sure about same day train purchase we bought our train tix weeks before our travel date.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 06:59 PM

Yes, you can buy at the station.
And you will at some point need to enter your passport information for your flights.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Portugal continues to wish to track tourist movements within its borders. What they do with the information I have no idea. You will find, that along with a lot of Europe, you have to hand in your passport at reception in every hotel you stay in.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 03:57 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't remember if we provided passport info when we booked train and bus tickets in Portugal (we probably did), but passport numbers were required when we booked anything in Spain...including tickets for attractions. A total PITA, especially when working on a cell phone. I found the whole process quite onerous.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Portugal train booking

Thanks all for the reply.

For booking at the station a couple of days in advance, is there a particular station we should go to? And can we do this on a Sunday?

Thanks again.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:43 PM

You can buy the tickets at any CP train station ( not Metro/subway), doesn't need to be a station on Alfa Pendular tracks.
I bought my tickets during normal business hours (usually in the morning after rush hour and before lunch).
Ticket booth hours are not uniform - in Loulé the ticket booth attendant closed for lunch at 11.30 am and opened at 12 noon, in other places ( Lisbon) the booth didn't close for lunch.
We bought our tickets at different time spans, sometimes the day before, sometimes weeks in advance.
We asked for departure/arrival stations, type of train, seat class, day of the week ,hour of day and we paid cash.