Portugal in October self-tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from [email protected]). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:16 AM

<i>Old Fogey Pair</i>

happy your trip went so well..but out of respect for those many of us who are a helluva lot older, please refrain from using the "Old Fogey" phrase. Don't make yourselves old before you really are.(Hope you have a good, seasoned sense of humor!) "Keep on truckin' AND travel 'til you unravel!"
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:24 AM

Love you attitude..At 81 I am sure I do not know what old means..And hope I live long enough to never find out. This last year I had two 1 month trips to Spain and never felt a twinge, only wlaked a little slower but certainly as much and did some Camino. My bucket list shrinks a little as i fill the hopes. Portugal was included in the Spanish wanderings and for a 3rd time there I experienced some of the best of everything. Keep on a trucking and maybe our paths will cross.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:07 PM

Youngster amer_can, this old boy is 83, 84 in Feb. After 75 countries on 6 continents I had to hang up overseas travel due to dear wife's condition (Alz). But I still go into the batting cages and whack out 60 balls...doing some solo domestic travel for now...and getting vicarious kicks by continuing to help others with their plans.

stu tower
L.A.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:06 PM

stu tower..As I said earlier Keep on a truckin'!!! You make my life much more redicated on what I WILL do not what I maybe can do!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:08 PM

Redirected...not redicated whatever that is!!!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 04:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it means to have roots or perhaps to put down roots.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:24 AM

OK then it doesn't fit the comment on my life..thanks..a new word for my treasure trove of trivia...
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
at least it's not redacted
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:49 AM

OK bilboburger I guess I have to google this one!!!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Hi Not so Old Fogey Pair,

We, too, are in our 70s (75 and 78) and just returned two weks ago from a trip to Spain. We don't think about age much, since we seem to get along as well as anybody.

Your trip to Portugal sounds wonderful. We were there in October 2009. We spent five days in Porto and five days in Lisbon with day trips from both locations.

When and where is your next trip?

Stu Tower, I love your advice to "travel til you unravel!" That's exactly what we'e doing!

Byrd
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM

To the OP, glad you had a great trip. We'll be in Lisbon in late March next year, probably for about a week, plus a trip up to Porto and back. We've previously spent time in Porto and the Minho, north, but I want to spend a few days driving to and fro between Porto and Lisbon.

Worst part is trying to persuade my husband to stay for closer to two weeks instead of just a week or ten days. Any suggestions? I too would love to swing east and see some of Douro valley--we didn't really get over that way on our previous trip.

We had no trouble driving either, except for getting lost in the cities a few times, and sometimes being confused when there were multiple routes pointing to the same destination. Nothing like a good map, however.

We're 64 and 69, btw, keep on trucking!
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 08:30 AM

After reading this thread I'm feeling like a child. Thank you all.
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Lobo..everyone should feel like a child! this will keep you young, active, interesting and loved!!!