Search

Portugal in Dec and Christmas Markets/Holidays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal in Dec and Christmas Markets/Holidays

Hello
We are planning to visit Portugal between Dec 23-30 and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the weather. How cold can it get? I live in Philadelphia where it’s freezing, just to compare.

Also, I wanted to visit Lisbon, Porto and Faro. Are there Christmas markets still on this time of the year or they are closed by then?

Will the Palace of Pena be closed on Christmas? Many tours I am seeing online are accepting reservations to Sintra from Lisbon (like Viator etc) but not sure if we will be able to access the palace.
Is it recommended to stay in Sintra for one night?

Any suggestions on the itinerary? We are a family of 3 with a teen son and like to take things easy but like to do some activities in the day. Nothing too crazy.
Thank you so much!!
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 04:09 PM

Anks,
It should be considerably warmer in Lisbon, certainly, than in Philadelphia. In Lisbon last year the main Christmas market in Campo Pequeno ran from Nov. 30-Dec. 4, But there's Wonderland, according to blogger Julie Dawn Fox.

"Wonderland Lisboa is a massive Christmas fair with free entry in Eduardo VII park open from 1st December to 2nd January with music, fun fair rides, food and drink, ice rink and a cave plus other seasonal entertainment. Typical opening times: Monday to Thursday Noon to 9 pm, Fridays midday to midnight, Saturdays and Holidays 10 am to midnight, Sunday 10 am to 10 pm, December 24th and 31st 10 am to 4 pm, December 25th and January 1st 4 to 10 pm."

As for Porto markets last year, from her blog I also quote:"As for Porto Christmas markets, there are several to choose from:

Mercado da Alegria, in front of Santo Ildefonso church and Praça da Batalha is open rom 1st to 30th December from 10 am to 8 pm, or 10 pm on Friday and Saturdays, with various stalls selling crafts and Portuguese products as well as entertainment.

For handmade arts and crafts, head to Feira Artesanatus in Largo Amor de Perdição, in Cordoaria. 2022 dates were between December 8th and 23rd.

Porto’s Mercado de Natal (Christmas Market) is in Avenida das Tílias in Palácio do Cristal ran from 1st to 23rd December 2022."

I don't know about Faro.

The Pena Palace closes on Dec. 25. While tours may be accepting reservations to Sintra, the monuments of the Parque de Pena will all be closed on Christmas Day and New Years Day.
https://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/pl...es-and-prices/

BTW, Viator is simple a re-seller of other companies' tours.

A very popular and lovely place to overnight in Sintra, booked well in advance, or better still, for a number of nights, is the Chalet Saudade, much loved by Fodorites.
But I wouldn't suggest overnight in Sintra on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, when options for sightseeing and dining will be extremely limited.

Your options will be more extensive in Lisbon and you will have the beautiful Christmas lights (you can take a tuk tuk tour of them), the giant Christmas tree at Praça do Comércio and a smaller one at Rossio.
Hotel restaurants will be open for the convenience of their guests. The Cervejaria Liberdade in the Tivoli hotel last year had a menu for 45 euros.
As for non hotel dining (and often gala, quite expensive dining), you may find ethnic restaurants open.

The pastry shops will have their Three Kings Cakes (Bolo Rei) on display, the typical Christmas season treat. The Bolo Rei is one of the most traditional Christmas desserts. Originally, Bolo Rei has a fava bean and a coin placed inside it. Tradition states that whoever ended up with the bean in their slice is expected to make the Bolo Rei the following year and whoever had the coin was said to have been blessed with good luck.
https://tinyurl.com/9wpxr5b7

The main Christmas tree in Porto is usually outside the City Hall at the top of Avenida dos Aliados, Julie says.
There will be a Christmas concert at Porto's Casa da Musica.

More about a Portuguese Christmas-
https://secretsfromportugal.com/secr...t-in-portugal/

https://juliedawnfox.com/christmas-new-year-portugal/

Last edited by Maribel; Aug 15th, 2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your detailed message.
We have decided to do Lisbon and Albufeira only this dec and keep
Porto for next visit