Portugal and weather

Search

Portugal and weather

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal and weather

We are planning to visit Portugal at the end of the month through September. For those of you who have recently returned , how was the weather ? I am reading that it is near 90-100 degrees inland. We are visiting Lamego, Evora, and Belmonte. I’m hoping it will cool off by then, but I’m only talking maybe 3 weeks. How do you find it?
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 01:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Climate Change means that all bets are off, the jet stream continues to put high pressure onto the south of Europe. All I can recommend is take it slow, take a hat and take water.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 02:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't bring water, it is heavy and takes up lot of space..
They have fresh water in Portugal.
Bring suncreen and a wide brimmed hat.

A quick Google search will tell you what are the averages for your planned visit , as well as the maximum and minimum records.

In Europe they use the Celsius scale for temperatue, it might be a good idea to get used to it. You don't want to go out wearing a winter parka when everyone is wearing summer clothes.

Keep in mind the saying about mad dogs and Englishmen..

Last edited by cdnyul; Aug 6th, 2023 at 02:38 AM.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 07:48 AM

In Europe they use the Celsius scale for temperatue, it might be a good idea to get used to it.

Smart phones will provide the temp readings in the user's format.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 08:46 AM
P_M

I think bilbo meant to take water with you when you're out and about, not to bring water from home.

Sadly I'm not very optimistic it will get better anytime soon, but I hope you'll see an improvement by the end of your trip. Since this year is breaking all records, I wouldn't rely too much on historical averages. I hope you can find plenty of indoor things to do and water activities, at least in the beginning of your trip.

Last edited by P_M; Aug 6th, 2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. It is not looking good. I am thinking that perhaps we could all sweat some pound off!!
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
FWIW, we were in Merida and Seville 11 years ago. End of May, daily temps were 38-40°C.
Sensibly, most of the residents stayed indoors or in the shade during the hottest hours.
We spend those hours indoors, at the Archelogy Museum, which was airconditioned.
After sunset it seemend the whole town was at a local park, live bands, kids everywhare, people dancing and talking to nieghbors.
That night is still one of my favorite memoreis of Spain.
The quicker you adapt to local rhytms and customs the more you will enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 07:12 PM

We were in Portugal in mid-June several years ago beginning our trip in Evora and driving north and ending up in Lisbon. It was hot for the most part other than when we were in Porto and Guimares, north of Porto which was overcast and drizzly. It was pleasant when we were in Sintra, which we did as a day trip tour from Lisbon, as it is up in the mountains. Not helpful but my cousin and her daughters went during the February school break and she said Lisbon, Sintra and Cascais were ideal for walking around, very pleasant.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 07:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I can only tell you about mid-September to early October last year. From Lisbon to Porto to places in between it was hot virtually everywhere we went. Cerveza and aguá were our friends. I wish we were going back. Great country!
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 10:55 AM

I have found it helpful to use my Weather app from a month out from our trip. I add locations where we will be, and monitor the forecast. You can get a pretty good idea of what to pack from a ten days out forecast. But also historically, I think you will find that it is possible at times for Porto to be cooler and rainy, as it is close to the coast, whereas inland is going to be hotter for sure.