Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Allergic in Portugal aLllergic in Portugal

Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:49 PM
Manny Shapiro

I'll be in Madeira and the Algarve in Portugal in October. I know that the cuisine there is based on onions and garlic, and I'm allergic to them as well as the whole lilly family {shallots, leeks and chives as well}. Is there a speaker of Portuguese who whould help me by formulating a short message which I could hand to waiters in restaurants which would inform them of this deadly peril to my digestive tract? Thank you. Mannyshp

Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:01 PM
Surlok

You shall say (or print):

Sou alérgico a cebolas,cebolinhas, alho, alho porro, e similares. Por favor, minha refeição não deve conter nenhum destes ingredientes.

Anyway, I hope someone from Portugal reads your message, since I'm Brazilian, and not always we use the very same words to designate these things.

Good luck, and take care,

Surlok

Oct 1st, 2001, 05:54 PM
Manny Shapiro

Thank you very much, Surlock, I will do that.

Oct 1st, 2001, 06:54 PM
SharonM

Manny,

You may also want to check into:
http://www.systransoft.com/

...perhaps to translate menus or other (literal) phrases...
(for what it's worth...)

...lived in Lisboa for awhile, but don't have allergies...Perhaps a Portuguese chef will sneak in here and know what dishes might include those ingredients of which you're allergic too?

Enjoy the rest!

Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:01 AM
Pedro

You will find that lots of dishes in Portugal have a base of onions and/or garlic since Portuguese is basically mediterranean cuisine but you will always find "grelhados" ( grilled, fish or meat ) that are not likely to have those ingredients, "bacalhau cozido" ( boiled cod ) or "espetadas" ( grilled pieces of meat or tuna ) in Madeira, really tasty. If you can, drive the Seixal-Porto Moniz stretch of coast, it offers gorgeous views. Madeira/Algarve is a good combination, sooo different. I have posted some reccommendations on these places in this forum. Hope you enjoy a lot!

Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:17 AM
coco

Manny,
I spent 10 days in the Algarve this past July into August and was astounded by the amount of English spoken there...who knew! (Tho there are gazillions of English people there so does make some sense.) Anyway, you might want to write out your request in Portuguese as a precaution but will most likely find little need of it. As for Madeira, don't know.

Oct 10th, 2001, 07:34 PM
mary jardin

Manny:

I was in Madeira last year. The island relies on tourism, and, therefore, you will find that no matter where you go you will always find someone who speaks English, especially in restaurants. You should have no problem, but just to be of the safe side take the written Portuguese statement with you. Have a great time, it's a beautiful island with lots of history.