Portugal and Spain and a CAR

Jan 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Portugal and Spain and a CAR

My cousin and I will be traveling to Spain and Portugal in April. Our plans are to
land in Madrid and fly out of Portugal. We hope to rent a car in Madrid and drive
to the cost and follow it up into Portugal. We will be traveling for 15 days.
Is it more expensive picking up the car in Spain and dropping it off in Portugal?
Any suggestions on what to see would be great.
Thanks!
Jill
Jan 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Cross-border drop-off fees are generally high and will add considerably to the cost of the rental; unless you happen to get a car that needs to be delivered to the second country.
Jan 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Um, from Madrid which direction are you heading to follow the coast - east? south? west?

And yes, you will have a drop off charge unlees you are taking back a Portugese car.
Jan 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM

There is a very high charge to drop off a car between Spain and Portugal. I got trapped into paying this once by planning to rent a car in Lisbon and return it in Madrid. By the time I realized how high the drop-off fee was, I was hemmed in by flights and other travel arrangements and ended up eating the charge. But I would certainly plan to avoid it if I could.
Jan 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM

On the other hand flying from Lisbon to Madrid is very cheap (EasyJet, TAP, Air Europa). Last summer we paid 42 euro on Air Europa (and no luggage surcharges). So fly to either Madrid or Lisbon, return your car at the original pick up and fly o/w for flight home.
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help!