Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal 9-day itinerary. Need help cutting back!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help trimming the itinerary back to a manageable number of places. Some of the stops are non-negotiable (travel companion commitments etc.) We are flying in and out of Lisbon the second week of Sept. (yes, this is coming up). We are also renting a car once we leave Lisbon.

I am concerned that it is too much driving and too many places but am not sure what to do. I am concerned we will get to a place and feel like the day is 1/2 over and we didn't really see any place. But it's important to my friend to visit several of these places and it's more her trip than mine (her fellowship, I am joining is the short version). What to do?
Here are the places:
Lisbon (and Sintra day trip)
Evora
Obidos (were orig. planning on also seeing Batalha and Alcobaca)
Santiago de Compestelo 2 nights (non negotiable)

The dillemas as I see them are that Evora is a bit of a detour but important to my friend and Santiago de C. is far (but a non-negotiable). Because of the distance, no matter what we lose a day driving back to Lisbon to fly home.

What to do??

I am looking forward to ideas you might have. I have already run through a few different scenarios but am wondering how others might see it.

(also I apologize for any misspellings of Portuguese names. I am a bit rushed at work and didn't have time to look up the correct spelling!)
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM

If Santiago de Compostela is your friend's non-negotiable, you should be able to negotiate out Evora unless it is your non-negotiable. I would stick to going north and south within 50km. of the coast, seeing some things on the way up and others on the way down so as not to feel that one way is just passing through to get to the farthest ultimate destination (Lisbon or Santiago).
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Well, you know exactly what the problem may be. You only have 9 days and you need 11. Either add time or drop Sant de Comp.
Or, head north as you leave Lison and save Evora until the end, and make it optional.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM

Hi Claire. Hope you had a great trip to Portugal. I'm headed there for just about the same amount of time you were there. We arrive December 31 and depart for the US on Jan 8. We want to do Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra, Sintra loop. What, in your opinion, are must see destinations in that driving travel plan? Thanks so much.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 04:44 AM

eveeee. I suggest you type in Lisbon or Portugal in the search box, if you haven't already, and you will see lots of suggestions for Portugal.
Have a wonderful trip.