Portsmouth "Filler" Ideas

May 31st, 2017, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Portsmouth "Filler" Ideas

Hi, Fodorites.

Returning to England in September. Any ideas on “filler” things to do in Portsmouth on my jet lag day? My main reasons to go are to visit the Portsmouth Historic Dockyards, which I'll save for the next day.
So looking for other ideas. I love history and hiking/walking.

Question: From Heathrow, I’ll arrive at Portsmouth & Southsea Rail Station between 11:00 a.m.-2 p.m., and will be jet lagged. My B&B is in Old Portsmouth area. Any recommendations for restaurants, interesting sights, Portsmouth-cuisine? I’m very interested in history.

Thank you, Fodorites, for any insight into Portsmouth.
May 31st, 2017, 02:40 PM

If your B & B is in Old Portsmouth then you would be better getting of the train at Portsmouth Harbour station which is one station on from Portsmouth & Southsea and the terminal stop (any further and you'll end up in the water).
May 31st, 2017, 02:49 PM

You could visit Chichester and/or Fishbourne:

https://sussexpast.co.uk/properties-...e-roman-palace
May 31st, 2017, 04:50 PM

The Mary Rose Museum was not finished our last visit but I think the ticket is good for more than one day. It took us two days to see everything. We did a tour of the harbor and went to the Royal Navy Submarine Museum even touring a submarine. My husband is retired Navy and a Sub sailor so he loved this trip. HMS Victory was my favorite part. I really wanted to visit the Isle of Wight but not enough time. Nice mall and seafront dining.
May 31st, 2017, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Macross, thursdaysd, and Hooameye, for the information. Appreciate your taking the time to post.

Macross--glad to hear the ticket may be good for two days. I think I saw that on the website a while ago, and then forgot about that. f I'm lucky with my flight being in on time, maybe I could try to see a little on my arrival day.

Thanks, thursdaysd, for the train info. Using traveline.info, sometimes it's hard to know which end-destination to put down.

And oh my gosh! Just saw on google maps there's a Charles Dickens Birthplace Museum. (My favorite historical time period for England is Regency and Victorian.) I hope I'm able to visit, but hours are only Friday-Sunday. Will be difficult.
May 31st, 2017, 07:13 PM

Er, the train info was Hooameye
Jun 1st, 2017, 02:17 AM

visit Southsea... pop into the castle, wander over the large area of grass see the Pyramids centre and watch the hovercrafts set off.

Lots of breeze in the air to handle jet lag
Jun 1st, 2017, 02:33 AM

The other eminent Victorian associated with Portsmouth/Southsea is Conan Doyle.

An extensive collection of Holmesabilia was put together towards the end of the 20th century: when the collector died suddenly around 2005, the local museum (http://www.portsmouthcitymuseums.co.uk/ ) acquired it and now boasts the largest Doyle/Holmes collection in the world. The collector was hugely proud of what he'd put together.

Most of Portsmouth, if we're honest, is pretty horrid to look at, and it probably had foisted on it some of the nastiest 1960s buildings in Europe. The worst of them (the Tricorn Centre) was demolished on aesthetic grounds.

But there are bits of Southsea near the sea front which, because the area escaped gentrification during its Era of Vandalism, seem to retain the sense of a shabby Victorian maritime village better than anywhere else in Britain.
Jun 1st, 2017, 05:21 AM

In addition to the above, you could also walk down Broad Street through Old Portsmouth towards the Still & West and Spice Island pubs. There are great views of the harbour comings and goings from here, and the nearby old harbour walls. There's also a small fishing harbour nearby next to the Bridge Tavern (good for fish dishes).

Also in the area is the huge Gunwharf Quays shopping / leisure development which is on a site once occupied by the Royal Naval Dockyard. There are loads of (chain) restaurants here and also the striking Spinnaker Tower which has panoramic views over the area on a nice day.
Jun 1st, 2017, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

flanner, you always make me laugh. Thank you for the Conan Doyle information. I'm definitely interested in that. Sadly, I won't be able to enter Charles Dickens' Birthplace, but the neighborhood is one I hope to walk through. Most looking forward to catching glimpses of Portsmouth's maritime past, and the shabbier and grittier the better. So I hope I won't be disappointed. I have limited time to travel, and it's hard to choose where to go. I discounted Brighton and Lyme Regis, as there just wasn't enough time or attractions to justify the stops.

bilboburger and Gordon_R: yes, a walk will definitely be in order to shake off that long travel day. Thank you for the route info. and the pub/restaurant information. Fresh fish is something I don't get enough of, even in Chicago. It's just not the same without that brackish salt in the air.
Jun 1st, 2017, 05:54 AM

My husband picked the hotel there and it was horrid. Location was great but swear there was a guy sitting in the hallway in his undies to get better wifi. It was straight out of the 40's era. It still gets the funniest reviews on TA. Some people love it and most had my reaction. Hope you aren't staying there...
Jun 1st, 2017, 05:59 AM

Southsea also has the DDay Museum and Overlord Tapestry. The Tapestry is no real competition to the Bayeux tapesry, but interesting none-the-less:

http://www.ddaymuseum.co.uk
Jun 1st, 2017, 06:27 AM

... alas the D-Day Museum is closed for refurbishment until 2018.
Jun 1st, 2017, 07:07 AM

flanner--thanks for the info on Conan Doyle, as my spouse and I are both big Holmes fans and we'll be in Portsmouth for one nite in the fall (to see HMS Victory which we missed last time we were there) However, your link did not reference the Doyle collection, and another search showed that it might be at the Portsmouth Public Library. However, I could not find a link on-line.
Jun 1st, 2017, 07:21 AM

>>My husband picked the hotel there and it was horrid. Location was great but swear there was a guy sitting in the hallway in his undies to get better wifi. It was straight out of the 40's era. It still gets the funniest reviews on TA. Some people love it and most had my reaction. Hope you aren't staying there...<<

It wasn't the Keppel's Head hotel by any chance? Good choice if you want "shabbier and grittier"....!
Jun 1st, 2017, 07:28 AM

"Most of Portsmouth, if we're honest, is pretty horrid to look at, and it probably had foisted on it some of the nastiest 1960s buildings in Europe. The worst of them (the Tricorn Centre) was demolished on aesthetic grounds.

But there are bits of Southsea near the sea front which, because the area escaped gentrification during its Era of Vandalism, seem to retain the sense of a shabby Victorian maritime village better than anywhere else in Britain."

To be fair, Pompey was hammered by the Germans in WW2 and the rebuilding emphasis was more geared to creating accommodation for bombed out families the something that was asthetically pleasing. Lived in Pompey off and on from 1960 to 1995 and there were still bombsites around the Guildhall area well into the late 80's.
Jun 1st, 2017, 10:45 AM

Gordon, it was!! I took the blankets off the bed, slept on the sheets with a little down throw I travel with. Used my sweater for a pillow.
Jun 1st, 2017, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh my. Keppel's is definitely not on my list now!
Sep 16th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Nearly there! Thanks for all the helpful information. Can't wait to be back in the most wonderful country in the world!
Sep 16th, 2017, 10:56 AM

<>

There's not a lot of Victorian neighbourhood left around Charles Dickens's house. There are a few old houses in that road but if you take a close look on satellite map you'll see a lot of it is now big blocks of council flats plus the very busy road out of the city. Not the best or most inviting area to roam as a tourist.

However given your interest in the Victorian area, you will want to explore Southsea, the part of Portsmouth that lies to the south of the city along the seafront. In particular the work of local architect Thomas Ellis Owen who built some lovely Victorian villas, many of which are still standing.

http://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk...mouth-mob.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO