Poolewe, Highlands, lodging

Aug 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Poolewe, Highlands, lodging

I am resending the message I sent earlier today because I realized the heading was United States instead of Europe. We're looking for lodging close to the Inverewe Gardens and are finding limited selections of Bed & Breakfast and other lodgings in the Poolewe area of the Scotish Highlands. Does anyone have knowledge of nice, reasonably priced choices for September? Many thanks.

Aug 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Here are a few good ones you can try:

www.thesheilingholidays.com/
www.davidgeorge.co.uk/area.htm
www.mellondale.co.uk/

If none of those work out, this site lists 3 B&Bs/Hotels in the immediate area. www.celticfringe.org.uk/loch-ewe.htm#accomm
Aug 27th, 2006, 01:35 AM

The Pool House Hotel is fantastic (or it was the last time I was there), but I think it's prices are pretty steep these days.

The Poolewe Hotel is more normal and more normally priced. My sister was there earlier this month and it was a good experience.

In September you'll have no difficulty getting B&B just by turning up and can perhaps make your own judgement.

This place gets a great namebr />
http://www.nafirchlis.co.uk/index.htm
Aug 28th, 2006, 08:10 AM

The reason that you are finding very little is that there IS very little in this fairly remote area. We stayed at the Poolwee Hotel in June. It was adequate, but very basic older hotel. Our room was noisy (noise coming through floor/walls from lounge below), but the front desk clerk moved the noise-makers out at 11.30.

Price in June was 39.50 per person incl. breakfast. If you don't do the currency conversion math it almost seems reasonable. But like a lot of things in the UK these days for US travelers, if you DO the math, it's outrageous (39.50 pounds x 2 people x 1.90 conversion rate= $150!!!)

There's a pub on the premises and a restaurant. Both were OK.

The gardens are quite nice, as is the surrounding area. Its a longish drive from anywhere(we came from Skye), but you really get a taste of the more remote areas of the coast and highlands.
Aug 31st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your inputs and insight. We went ahead and booked the Poolewe Hotel since we weren't exactly sure how long we'd spend driving from Skye that day. Everyone on Fodor's Forum has offered great information that has helped tremendously in planning our trip. Scotland, here we come!